Moon Shots - There's Hope Yet!

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a couple examples of my attempts at photographing the moon.

The first is from a couple months ago, the second is from last night, hoping practice paid off?

467811625_NUCmo-L.jpg

553726755_mCpDY-L.jpg

The second one is beautifully shot! Love it!

The second one is better than the first. I would suggest a tripod, if you're not using one, as there does seem to be a bit of unsharpness to the image. Additionally, the highlights are a bit blown. Remember that shooting the moon is not like shooting a dark object -- you are shooting sunlight.

Somewhere on the forum is a moon shot thread. (Ahhh here it is: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/4114-moon.html )

Keep shooting!

Ian

Yeah, everyone was asleep when I shot it so I didn't want to go rummaging around for it.

If I remember right this was at F11 @ 1/125th.

You're right though, the highlights are blown... back to the drawing board :D

Thanks Don!

And to think, the first one was on a tripod - second one hand held :lol:

What lense did you use NOYZE?

Side note, I don't care much for Headblade.

First was taken with the 18-200VR, second was taken with the 70-300VR (both Nikkor).

The camera changed as well but I went from a D40 to a D80 to a D200 to a D90 in about 2 months time so I don't recall what I used on the first one :lol:

No HeadBlade for you huh? What's your weapon of choice? Some days I use my 1947 Gillette Super Speed, Badger Hair Brush and C.O Bigelow shave cream so I'm not 100% HeadBlade but I lean that way.

6March09_Moon_125.jpg

I'm not sure the settings but i think it was F11 @ 1/250 on a tripod.

Hay Defy,

From Kuso Exif Viewer... and your point is???

Standard Information
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D300
ImageSize: 518x543
ShutterCount: 7053
ExposureTime: 1/125"
Aperture: F8.0
MaxAperture: F2.8
DepthOfFocus: 4.51 m (21.67 - 26.18)
ExposureProgram: Manual
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: No Flash
ISO: 100
WhiteBalance: Auto
FocalLength: 200.0 mm

Cheers, Don

N0YZE,
Cool, I didn't even think about pointing my 55-250mm at the moon. I'll give it a go someday. I thought it would have been something zoomier.

Side conversation: Gillette 5 blade fusion. I love the HeadBlade design, I hate the blades. I have tried a few kinds, but all leave me irritated and super sensitive. Fusion, is a dream :), and I haven't found anything slicker than SoftSoap for shave cream.

The 2nd one is good, it looks great.
But the first one seems like its over exposed. And because of this the detail is pretty low.

Second is a vast improvement, but there is some coloration that needs to be attended to. Magenta.

You will find that a tripod and rather fast shutter speed will be your friend when shooting the moon. Whatever your lens, find the sweetspot. This will usually be between f/7.1 - f/16, but moreso around f/8.

ISO set to baseline.

Shutter speed will likely be around 1/160- 1/200, depending on the phase. It really is a quick shot.

My PP skills suck, but I have read where some people take a shot exposed for the black sky and another of the moon, then merge the two.

Also, along with the tripod, get yourself a remote shutter release.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back