Moon Shots

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you guys usually shoot pictures of moon? I took a shot yesterday night and came with these. I had the ISO at 1600 as it was almost dark and I was also shooting some test shots almost 2 football field away with the 75-300mm lens. I will PP it later and cut down some noise.

But here are the 3 shots: 2nd is my favorite (currently using as desktop background)

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Shoot much much lower. Try 100 or 200. The moon is very bright and you can use a decently fast shutter speed as well. Google it, there are a million threads on it.

umm you were shooting the moon 2 football field away? Not that it makes a difference if you were 1000 football fields away.

How do you guys usually shoot pictures of moon?
A quick use of the search function (located in the upper right of the banner) yielded 33 threads with the keyword "moom" in the title only for the past six months. Hmmmmm...... do you think there might be something in those that will assist you?

And because I'm in a helpful mood today...

Q: Why is the moon bright in the sky?

A: Because it's reflecting the sun's light!

Use a low ISO, and use settings about equal to what you'd use to shoot something in the daylight. Actually, this will likely under expose your shot, so maybe one or two stops under what you might actually shoot, and you'll likely get a good shot. Make sure you're on a tripod, and don't be afraid to play with your settings. Good luck on this!

I used f5.6, 1/2000, and iso 200 at 300mm. Shot in RAW so I could lighten it up myself. Not the sharpest but Im happy.
Moon1.jpg

I don't like how its centered in the frame...

Matbe a slight edit... I re-croped it... anf from within Gimp I did Auto White Balance and Auto Color Enhance.

IMG_0106.jpg

Not really liking your edit.

My specs to get this shot.

Tripod to stabilise camera, hand held at this focal length is almost impossible.

Shutter speed : 1/160th
ISO: 100
Aperture: /f7.1
Lens: Canon 300mm F4 L USM
Kenko 1.4x Pro DGX Teleconverter
Canon 500D/t1i
Shot in RAW
Live View on (doubles as mirror lock up?), focus preset manually.
Remote shutter release, I did as much as I could to stablise the shot at every point of the process.

24twypl

Stabilise the camera use self timer to make sure the camera is dead still when the shutter is released, shoot manually, larger aperture 5-8 perhaps.
Keep the ISO as low as possible.
Use the fastest shutter speed possible without increasing your ISO.
Underexpose slighlty.
Check that the camera is actually focussing correctly.

Keep trying, best way to learn.

I took a shot yesterday night and came with these. I had the ISO at 1600 as it was almost dark and I was also shooting some test shots almost 2 football field away with the 75-300mm lens.
How'd you get so close? ;)

A quick use of the search function (located in the upper right of the banner) yielded 33 threads with the keyword "moom" in the title only for the past six months. Hmmmmm...... do you think there might be something in those that will assist you?
Hey kundalini! I know very little about photography BUT, I knew that James Gang verse! Good for you man! That was/is a good song. I know, I deviated from the context of this thread. Still, you got me hearing that old fav tune in my mind once again! Thanks!:thumbup:

God I must have OCD...I had to google what the hell you were talking about Moolie before I went nuts....Yeah you deviated alright. I assume you mean "It was on a Saturday night and the moon was shining bright"

God I must have OCD...I had to google what the hell you were talking about Moolie before I went nuts....Yeah you deviated alright. I assume you mean "It was on a Saturday night and the moon was shining bright"
You assumed I meant "It was on a Saturday night and the moon was shining bright" ? I am afraid now your driving me nuts! :lol: Should I Google that?

I took a shot yesterday night and came with these. I had the ISO at 1600 as it was almost dark and I was also shooting some test shots almost 2 football field away with the 75-300mm lens.
How'd you get so close? ;)

Sorry, meant I was shooting a soccer game at the park down the road from my house. I was about 2 football fields away. As it was getting dark, noticed the moon :D

You assumed I meant "It was on a Saturday night and the moon was shining bright" ? I am afraid now your driving me nuts! :lol: Should I Google that?

NM me I am tired and delirious. I see what you mean now. For some reason I thought you were referring to the OP and looking for a verse in his first post...no wonder I was having so much trouble!

Most reactions

Back