Moon

Toni Marie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are just a few moon pictures. I think they look kind of cool.

1)

IMG_1853resized.jpg

2)

IMG_1889resized.jpg

3)

IMG_1875resized.jpg

I'm going to take a chance and guess she used a camera. :D

Hehe, but all seriousness aside the moon is actually kinda difficult. Those turned out pretty good. I think the moon makes a good lens test subject. I guess your lens is fairly HQ.

Nice work.

You know I can't even remember its been so long ago I think I took these back in feb. I do know that I used my 70-300mm lens. I'll have to look up all the settings. Thanks I'm glad that you liked them.

Here are the settings. I guess I took the pictures way back in Oct 07

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Date/Time
10/25/2007 18:42:05
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/400Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F5.6
Metering Modes
-
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
-
Focal Length
300.0 mm
Image size
1400 x 933

Hey Toni,

Can I edit one of your images? I want to show how much detail of the moon's surface can be revealed from shots like this. It'd be fine if the answer is no too tho.

Thanks.

AFTER:
IMG_1889resized.jpg

This is your #2 shot from above. I just ran a script I made for planets and moons I shoot occasionally.
Basically just many iterations of median blur, blending, sharpening, and adjusting the mid-point of the
luminance range (brightness, etc.). By hand isn't hard either. ;)

Thanks again for allowing me the privilege!
[/center]

Hey thanks it looks awsome.

Sorry, gotta disagree on this. I think your processing brought out a lot of noise rather than features. While I agree that some simple Levels/Curves and maybe a tiny bit of sharpening would help the original image (like the ejecta blanket around Copernicus), a lot of what you brought out is granular noise.

I do agree that the script did cause a lot of noise, but if we forget that is the moon, and think of it as a moon, it looks much better. I like that you can see many more formations after the script, but since it is an object which we can see so clearly by stepping out the door, I think the noise hurts it a little more than any other planetary object.

The script may have brought some noise, but look at the detail that it unveiled, it's amazing!

The script may have brought some noise, but look at the detail that it unveiled, it's amazing!

Yes, it brought out some detail, but some fairly simple Levels/Curves adjustment can do that. My point is that if you go too far - and I really don't mean to pick on bifurcator in this at all - a fair amount of that "detail" is really just noise. Yes, he brought out some of the rays around Copernicus and Tycho. BUT, a lot of the other "detail" is noise, and a fair amount of color noise. Trust me.

Also, and this is more a personal thing, I think it has way too much contrast in the "After" version. I prefer comparatively subtle contrast in moon photos. The moon does not look like that to the eye, and yet your eye can still see details.

Again, this is not directed at Bifurcator at all. It is simply a general comment - and caution - to people who photograph the moon. It is very tempting to do a lot of sharpening and a lot of contrast adjustments. But that should really be avoided, in my opinion.

Do ya'll like the original shots that I did.

Most reactions

Back