Moonlight 4th of July

malachite

Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Reaction score
I made my 4th of July weekend a 4 day affair with the moonlight and did a little traveling for these. Started off Wednesday night at the Superstitions with Voodoocat and lucked out with this one as I screwed up the first two after accidentaly bumping my aperature ring to wide open and overexposing. Last frame before we left.........................

Superstitions063004-25.jpg

Friday night I wandered north about 100 miles to Watson Lake in Prescott, AZ. The moonlight was casting some crazy light while shining through a thin layer of clouds and smoke from the Willow fire about 100 miles due east. These colors are for real on film with reciprocity working in my favor for a change. The clouds are the best I've captured so far and shooting with a 24mm lens really gives them some direction.

WatsonLake070204-27.jpg

Still at Watson Lake, this time I busted out the flashlight and colored filters for some more rock painting. The last of the clouds on the left and the north star and it's neighbors on the right..........................

WatsonLake070204-35.jpg

all shot on Kodak Ektachrome 100SW

:shock: WOW! damn! those are super hott! well done! VERY WELL DONE!

though i think the first one could use more exposing. it would look less like an accident. still...all these are fantastic.

Wow those second two are great!...I wandered in here not expecting much since I"m gettin realy tired of fireworks. but was amazed to see none at all! great shots. I have to try this out someday

Wow, those photos are amazing, I heard Prescott had some real beauty, I just didn't image this much.. great capture!! :D

Damn, those look great. Film is still king for long exposures. Sure, make me feel real bad for not going to watson lake for the moonlit shots. you bastard. Is that the lens hood in #2?

Now now, Voods....ease your ugly green monster. :p Put that nasty little digicam down and one day you, too, might have something that looks as good as these. :greendev:

Actually, I want to know about #2 as well....I think it's the best, but what is the black in it? And I LOVE that sky - wow!!

Thank you all for the compliments. And yes the black in the upper right of #2 is the damn lens shade. It's just a shadow cast as I'm teetering on the edge of vignetting with the 24mm. This was the first shot of a three bracket set and the moon was just right to cause it in the first exposure only. Of course I didn't notice it until I posted it here.

Sure, make me feel real bad for not going to watson lake for the moonlit shots.
I asked you how many times? 3? maybe 4? I'll be going again, don't fret :p

Of course extra credit for using Extachrome
Shooting up the last of the promo brick I got from Kodak 9 years ago when this stuff first came out. Now of course they don't make it for 35mm anymore. The super saturated stuff works really good with reciprocity. I have another roll from this trip I have yet to go through that's on Fuji 64T. Cool stuff............

Oh my word. Some of the most beautiful photos i have ever seen. Please share aperature and speed if you remember.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back