Moonlighting as a wedding photographer realistic?

I didn't learn from anybody in particular...more by reading and getting everything planned out in fine details so I knew what to expect.. I did talk with a handful of wedding photographers at photog gathers we have around here, but i started doing weddings last year sorta on accident. My brother in law's photographer bailed on him on his wedding day. He gave me a call that morning and asked me to help him out. I borrowed an extra camera, called a photog friend to help out and off we went. I feel very lucky that it went well and that the sites that they picked were well lit and beautiful. I did 4 more weddings that year and pretty much read everything I could and spent hours learning how to use my flash in odd situations. I relate wedding photography to being at war....I always have to be on my feet, dodging drunks, protecting my gear, keeping people on time, and sometimes the worst job is keeping the other "photographers" out of my way. Seems like I always have 5 or 6 people with nice gear there (and 100 people with p&s cams) and they always try to get in my way. If you don't have your skills dialed in and still want to survive with amazing photos....good luck. Don't underestimate the backup gear...I had one of my 20d's err99 on me as the bride was walking down the isle with her dad. I just dropped it and swung the other 20d around and got the photos. So many variables to have to cover, it isn't about the money early on, its about building relationships so you can get the word of mouth machine going. I booked 9 weddings this summer already via word of mouth marketing.

...I always have to be on my feet, dodging drunks, protecting my gear, keeping people on time, and sometimes the worst job is keeping the other "photographers" out of my way. Seems like I always have 5 or 6 people with nice gear there (and 100 people with p&s cams) and they always try to get in my way. If you don't have your skills dialed in and still want to survive with amazing photos....good luck. Don't underestimate the backup gear...I had one of my 20d's err99 on me as the bride was walking down the isle with her dad. I just dropped it and swung the other 20d around and got the photos.

Excellent description of what it's like. Fortunately error 99 hasn't struck me in a vital moment, but I've definately forgot to put in a new CF card, and fallen victim to "CF FULL" ! Arrgghhh! Doh!!

Oh man...the dreaded CF FULL....I started to use the tamrac digital boomerang on all my photos. It has two CF holders on the neoprene neck strap. its so comfy and the cards are really easy to get to if i'm not in a drop the camera moment, but a i have 20 seconds to swap out cards moment. When I first started I only had about 6 gbs of memory...and I used to worry about accidently erasing a card before it was dumped onto my laptop. Thank god CF is so cheap now...i stocked up.

I surprised there is'nt more talk of insurance on this, USA or UK

I have friend who does a little photography on the side and he runs without insurance.

I run a business (not photography) and my clients dictate I'm insured to a certain level.

Just imagine the the problems if your negligence resulted in a claim. Even a small claim could ruin you.

Think 'trip over a tripod' or kit box, broken ankle wrist. Get insured and factor it into your cost. You may find that certain insurance will cover kit failure and allow for claiming a re shoot of at least the bride and groom

Is you kit covered on your home policy? what if its nicked or dropped during the shoot.

And finally it could be a good selling point in your sales pitch, use it as a joke to close the deal 'and I'm insured against everything except the weather' laugh and hand the contract to them?

Good point.

I mentioned it briefly but it should really be something to take note of. Not only could a law suit ruin your business...but you could loose your home etc.

It's not so much getting sued over poor performance (missing that shot of Grandma)...but as you mention...liability and personal injury.

I'm guessing that there are many thousands of 'weekend photographers' who are shooting weddings...getting paid under-the-table (not paying taxes) and without any business licence or insurance. I can understand that some people would start out this way...but it really hurts the whole industry if people continue to operate that way.

the bride and groom

Is you kit covered on your home policy? what if its nicked or dropped during the shoot.

And finally it could be a good selling point in your sales pitch, use it as a joke to close the deal 'and I'm insured against everything except the weather' laugh and hand the contract to them?
One thing I found out recently from my homeowners ins. carrier is thac cameras are covered under "electronics" in my policy but this is very limited as far as value and when the items are used for a business all bets are off you need seperate coverage.

So that I know what to expect, how much are you guys paying for your business insurance?

Where are you getting the insurance from? Would it be a special insurance company, or could I get it from the same place that carries my car, bike, and homeowners insurance?

So that I know what to expect, how much are you guys paying for your business insurance?

Where are you getting the insurance from? Would it be a special insurance company, or could I get it from the same place that carries my car, bike, and homeowners insurance?

IMHO it would be far more instructive to check with a good insurance broker or agent who can provide information on all the options and cost to you, and you will get a more accurate picture. This is not to diminish the relevance of what people here might reveal on their costs, but a reflection of the insurance industry and the simple fact that insurance costs vary all over the map. There are just so many variables it boggles the mind. Another suggestion is to consider an umbrella policy which generally covers all or most personal liability claims that do not come under other forms of insurance or where those limits are insufficient to cover the claim. While this most likely will not cover loss of your equipment, or a lawsuit because of a screw-up, it should cover liability such as a lawsuit involving let's say an injury because a guest tripped over a lightstand kind of thing. Again check with a good insurance broker or agent, perhaps you already have one for homeowners, rental or auto insurance.

You can get a rider to your homeowners policy to cover your equipment, etc. A rider is usually less expensive than a separate policy.

As far as price that depends on where you live and how much coverage you need.

You can get a rider to your homeowners policy to cover your equipment, etc. A rider is usually less expensive than a separate policy.

As far as price that depends on where you live and how much coverage you need.
That's what I have for all my camera gear...but I don't think that covers my gear if used in a professional capacity.

That's what I have for all my camera gear...but I don't think that covers my gear if used in a professional capacity.

Here in GA it doesn't matter what you use it for, be it professional (ie. making money) or as a hobby. It even covers the equipment if it gets stolen out of your car.

One other thing, get a good contract that covers you in the event of something bad happening, equipment failure, acts of God and you can't get to the wedding, etc. They are very important and can save yourself alot of stress.

I know the amount varies from state to state and person to person, but couldn't I get a straight answer or two? Maybe say how much it is and what it covers?

If you really want insurance as a photographer try wppi they have a package especially for photographers I do not have it yet but I know some of the people where I shoot weddings fo have it they are the ones who suggested it to me.

http://www.wppionline.com/

My business insurance is £2200/year (thats around $1,200 US it think) but I have a big liability section and coverage to work on clients premises, business interruption and all sorts.

Thats actually a interesting point, if there is money changing hands between you and the wedding party for the shoot you could find the location get upset if you don't have insurance.

Insurance is always a gamble, cars/life/health, if you don't need to claim, and most people don't, then its just an expense.

But that one claim can make it all worth while. However, in 10 years in business I have only claimed twice. Once when we had the celling come through after a big rain storm and once when some kit left the table and hit the floor.

I am also covered for supplier mistakes in print etc and I did try and claim when I had a print job go very badly wrong but the client split the cost with me and I avoided the excess.

So insurance? Take it out and sleep well knowing your covered, or stick the money on a horse and bank any winnings in case of a claim?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back