Moonshots

carvinrocks2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]One night I was looking at the moon and decided to take pictures of it. Here is the moon in different phases.

7? Days before the full moon
1-1.jpg

3 Days before the full moon
2-1.jpg

It was cloudy the day of and the day after the full moon. This was taken two nights after the full moon.
3.jpg
[/FONT]

not very crisp

I was using a Canon SX 120 IS powershot, what do you expect?
He just stated a fact - Your photos are not very crisp, and have both color and luminance image noise.

Were you just wanting some atta-boy's, or critique? If critique, expect comments that point out issues with your photos.

None of your photos have intact EXIF metadata letting someone see what kind of camera was used, or what exposure settings.

Did you use manual or automatic settings?

Did you have the camera mounted on a good, solid tripod to make these photos ? Did you use a timed, or wireless remote shutter release to minimize camera shake?

The first photo looks like the camera might have been set to the wrong white balance, or did you play with it in post processing?

Since the moon is so bright, the camera can be set to a low ISO and a reasonably fast shutter speed to avoid image noise and camera shake blur. Also, since the Moon is effectively at infinity, you can use the largest aperture your camera has available and not encounter depth-of-field issues.

I've gotten my best results at around f/8, 1/125 sec., and ISO 100. Turn off any image stabilization, use live view fully magnified, get the focus nailed, then use a 10 second delay or a remote shutter release after all camera vibrations stop.

I wasn't meaning to be rude, just stating the camera.

The first two were taken without a tripod. The last one had a tripod, all were taken on Manual with I don't remember what settings. I didn't set the timer cause my tripod wasn't working my way so I had to hold the position. I would have fixed it if I could see what I was doing and not worrying about the dog opening the door letting the cats out. (our door doesn't lock in place without the top thing locked)

I think I tried to zoom in too close with the Digital zoom taking out some of the sharpness but some it was the settings. Also, I had the shutter speed a little too fast on all of them making them appear dark, I only Photoshop the last two.

If anything, they're overexposed. I generally underexpose the moon just a little. I get a little more contrast out of the details.

Most reactions

Back