Moooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Senor Hound, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I saw some longhorns in a field so I pulled over and started shooting. They kept getting closer and closer, and I just kept shooting. This was from a while back, though, so I cut off the legs on EVERY single photo of the moocows! Without legs, the horns were really difficult to balance in the photo, so I did a tight crop to try and compensate for my mistake.

What do you think? Some friendly criticism is appreciated. If you see anything you see you don't like, please tell me.

[​IMG]

I know I'm not supposed to put the subjects face in the center of the photo, but with these MASSIVE horns, I don't know how NOT to. Here's another photo, this one is the closest I got to not cutting off any limbs (He's still missing a few toes...lol).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the first shot! And don't worry about the center thing.. rules are meant to be broken when needed :wink:

The second one seems a little off. I think the background is too light and the bull too dark? Either way, the way he's looking at you I can see you wouldn't have time to play around in manual mode. You might get a horn in your lens! :lol:

3. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mmmmm! Yummy! Beef!

Err, ah-hem, pardon me, I mean interesting Bovine images! :D

hehehe, thanks man!

4. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the feedback.

Bifurcator... don't eat cows! They are nice animals, and they wouldn't eat you!

I put the last photo on here so you could really see how big the horns are. The grass is way to in focus, but this was at f/2.8 on my point and shoot (I think). Plus he was the cow who was really photogenic. At one point he was only 5 feet away from me! There was a fence, but he was very friendly and deserved to have his photo on the internet. :)

5. toots23

toots23 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I honestly think that the 1st one would be a lot better if the horns where not cut off but still a good photo

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Often rules collide. Sometimes a shot that exhibits a lot of symmetry is impossible with off-center or rule-of-thirds type framing. I think the framing is fine on both of these, but it would be nice if we had the whole cow.

Might do a little cleanup on the first one -- sharpening, apply image/soft light with the Lab channel in lab mode:

[​IMG]