More about editing...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jenn76, Dec 13, 2008.

1. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This isn't one of the best photos I did yesterday, but it's a quick good example. How would you go about making the background whiter? Let me make this a 2 part question... how could I have made it whiter during the shoot, and how can I make it whiter in post? Thanks in advance! You guys are always helpful!

And BTW, I have Gimp, or I could d/l a trial version of something... whatever works!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    first you dont want the subjects so close to the backdrop, because it casts shadows (thats why its darker around the people, and brighter at the top) that will help make it whiter... another way would be to have a flash behind the people, ... also ensuring that your white sheet truly is WHITE, helps as well.. there are many shades of white..

i was trying to find a quote that was told to me.. I think it was big mike..couldnt find it, but it had something to do with not setting up yor backdrop in a way that it is part of the picture... you dont want your focus to be the backdrop.. just the people

3. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Chris. The backdrop is definitely white... I will keep in mind to have them further away from the backdrop next time. That did work with some pics, although I didn't have them in the same spot each time, apparently. So do you know how to use Gimp or something to select the backdrop, then turn it white?

4. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it would involve some masking layers... you would want a layer of just eh backdrop, then change the color there, using a combination of exposure bumping and contrast... then on the second layer just the people... and expose them properly

5. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was able to fumble my way through this one without doing all that... I selected the background, then "filled with background color" to white. I had a hard time selecting the background without it selecting other things that I didn't want to be white though. I haven't used Gimp before... I know photoshop very little and Gimp is similar, but I was really having a hard time with the selection tool, which I remember from Photoshop days, too. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

6. lanceusa

lanceusa TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing I like to do is to open curves and choose the white dropper...select the area I want white, and it does all the rest. I would then make a mask and remove that action in areas like the man's shirt...because doing what I just described will probably wash out any detail in that area.

Cheers,
    Lance

7. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    I find the white background in the second pic too harsh/bright & much prefer the background in the first pic.

8. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's interesting Ron. I just thought it looked a lot "cleaner" with the bright white. I haven't cropped it at all... do you think it's just too bright because of all the white at the top? Would cropping help? Or do others think the same thing, that the bright white is too much?

9. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is something to be said for a gray background but the one in the first shot is really distracting.

The way to get a clean white background straight out of the camera is to have a light that is a lot brighter than your subject lights, and point it at the background so that it blows out white. In post you might still need to clean up the background a little to make sure it is all evenly toned, using a dodge tool.

10. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    Jenn, I do not think cropping will help because there is still going to be the extreme white about the subject. I also am interested in the opinions of others as I am often the only one in step in the parade.

The family pic immediately brought a smile to my face with that impish boy out fount.

11. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. I don't like the background in the first shot at all. It needs to be gray or white, and it's neither! I will definitely work on getting another light... should I just get a continuous light for that? Which route do I take with these pics? Make them bright white in PP, or something else? Is the bright white too much?

12. ATXshots

ATXshots TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree...way too harsh. Did you select the boy? If so, try to feather the edges a bit.