More Alaska Sunrises

Gaerek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a couple shots I took this morning. As always with me, C&C welcome and appreciated!

#1 - f/16, 1/6s, ISO 100, Manual Exposure
624708933_5tybC-L.jpg

#2 - f/16, 1/8s, ISO 100, Manual Exposure
624707976_zoosN-L.jpg

The sun is beautiful in the first image and reflection on the water just looks wonderful. Wow... Nice shot.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm actually a bit disapointed because I missed the firey red in the clouds by about 5 minutes. I noticed those first, grabbed my gear, and went to the location, but by the time I got there and got set up, the color had changed to the more orange/yellow that you see in the shot. I'm still pretty pleased with how this one turned out, even if I didn't shoot what I had intended to shoot. I actually liked the second one more at first, but the more I look at them, I realize I like the first one more.

Awesome shot! That first shot is great - the light from behind the mountains and the reflection on the water really bring this shot to life. Great capture!

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm actually a bit disapointed because I missed the firey red in the clouds by about 5 minutes. I noticed those first, grabbed my gear, and went to the location, but by the time I got there and got set up, the color had changed to the more orange/yellow that you see in the shot. I'm still pretty pleased with how this one turned out, even if I didn't shoot what I had intended to shoot. I actually liked the second one more at first, but the more I look at them, I realize I like the first one more.

Next time you'll get the shot hun... Next time...:hug::You did great!

The first shot is beautiful with the reflection on the water. Thanks for sharing.

I prefer the first one. I must say that I saw some amazing sky during my 2 weeks in Alaska in June. Where are you located?

I prefer the first one. I must say that I saw some amazing sky during my 2 weeks in Alaska in June. Where are you located?

I live in Sitka. For the geographically inclined, it's about 100 miles Southeast of Juneau on Baranof Island. No roads in or out, so you have to take a boat or plane only. I'm guessing you probably didn't make it to SE Alaska, unless you were fishing or took a cruise. If you ever get a chance, it's worth your while to visit here.

Rented a car for a week and drove from Anchorage to Healy with stops in Denali State Park and Denali National Park. Then drove back to Whitier and took cruise up the Inland Passage with stops in Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau ...

Next time, I want to do it with seaplanes and boats ...

I had a wonderful time and got thousands of images which I am still picking through ...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/168873-alaskan-skies.html

Last edited:
Rented a car for a week and drove from Anchorage to Healy with stops in Denali State Park and Denali National Park. Then drove back to Whitier and took cruise up the Inland Passage with stops in Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau ...

Next time, I want to do it with seaplanes and boats ...

I had a wonderful time and got thousands of images which I am still picking through ...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/168873-alaskan-skies.html

Beautiful Pictures. :) I couldn't tell you exactly where those were taken, but let's just say I know those views well. It's a shame you didn't come to Sitka. Because of it's location (it's pretty far off the beaten path of the Inside Passage) we get fewer cruise ships than most other locations. Problem is, most people I talk to say Sitka was their favorite stop and the most beautiful of Southeast towns.

I still need to convince my wife to charter a float plane sometime to get some pictures from the air, and maybe land in one of the higher altitude lakes. :) I'll do it one of these days.

I thought everyone up there owned a float plane :lmao: At least it sure looked that way when we were in Ketchikan.

Well, the cruise was just my first taste of Alaska. After that, I'll definitely be back! We did charter a flight to the Ruth Glacier at McKinley (we had 4 sequential days of unobstructed McKinley views which, I'm told, is a rarity) and that was a photographer's heaven.

Oh yeah, definite rarity. I lived in Fairbanks for a year going to school, and my dorm had a direct unobstructed view of Denali, and I think I saw it maybe a dozen times total.

I wish I owned a plane, or knew how to fly. Actually, one of my Dad's friends owns a charter plane company here so I'm sure I could tag along on someone else's dime or something like that if I asked really nicely.

Most reactions

Back