More auroras in Missouri

LCLimages

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well despite the camera problems I now have thanks to this little adventure (posted about that in the Canon forum), here are the 2 shots I've edited so far. Thankfully the SD card had several good shots before the incident-that-kept-me-up-all-night.

This one has gone somewhat viral via ABN's facebook page and a couple news stations...

Wow my husband is from Missouri...I had no idea you could see the auroras from there! Beautiful. You are the second person I know who photographed them last night. Must have been beautiful!

Wow, impressive capture. On my bucket list. Ed

Wow! They are saying it could happen again tonight and it may come farther south tonight.
What settings are used for something like this?
I am Cape Cod, but internet sites say it may happen...

Pretty cool! Yeah, I had absolutely no idea any auroras were ever visible from MIssouri. I guess it really is the Show Me state!

Wow! They are saying it could happen again tonight and it may come farther south tonight.
What settings are used for something like this?
I am Cape Cod, but internet sites say it may happen...

Well were cloudy tonight so I won't be out attempting anymore. I focused on the crescent moon then flipped to manual focus to lock that distance. Then pointed it at the horizon lol. I played with settings some, my ISO was 640-800, 10-13 second exposure, f/4. My trees aren't pin sharp but it was also breezy. In hindsight I could have raised my ISO & aperture but I guess old habits are hard to break... I learned to shoot on a Rebel that looked like crap over ISO 200 & I still find myself hesitating to raise it on the 6D even though it's more than capable.

Believe it or not, in the last 4 years I've witnessed & photographed the Aurora 3 times from my own backyard. It happens more than one would think, you just gotta know the nerdy space weather science part of it & also know what to look for when you go out. You don't just glance out the window & see a sky full of pink streaks, at least not this far south. Through experience I've learned you really don't want longer than a 15 sec exposure or you start to lose the definition of the individual light rays & get some pretty noticeable star trails.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back