More butterflies? Really? Yep.

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple from the butterfly garden yesterday.

Thanks for looking.

3689484999_e752a9516a_b.jpg

3690290638_cb31112226_b.jpg

I quite like the first image, they both really stand out which is good :)

Thanks for all your kind comments. Butterflies have always been an elusive subject for me. Both figuratively and literally. :lol:

Very nice. THe second is my fave as well - wonderful colours! (nice avatar as well ;))

I like them both! Neat picture. What lens did you use for these shots?

Meh, all my images are being shot on a Sony DSC-R1. Pretty much a glorified point and shoot.

dsc-r1-front-monitor.jpg

Last edited:
I love those colours and lighting in that first shot - a few strong whites, but not too distracting and it blends well with the overall shot. Great subject and good shooting!

Second shot shows that same good lighting and good focus on the head and eyes of the butterfly.

The backgrounds in both suggest that your using flash as well as as lighting source I think.

As for hte camera - looks more than just a glorified point and shoot to me - and it gets you good results too! A bit of control on those tricky highlights and your there!

Suprisingly enough, no flashes were used. As a general rule I rarely use anything other than natural/ambient light. The little pop-up flash on the Sony makes for icky shadows. I do usually wear a nice reflective white shirt when Im going to be doing closeups or macro though. Every little bit helps.

Interesting - though you do get good light out in Florida so I hear ;)
As for icky shaodws try putting some fold of white toilet paper infront of the flash - it will diffuse the lighting and reduce those harsh shadows

Interesting - though you do get good light out in Florida so I hear ;)
As for icky shaodws try putting some fold of white toilet paper infront of the flash - it will diffuse the lighting and reduce those harsh shadows

I have tried several materials with varying opacity (and results :er:). Its kind of a hit and miss thing. What I wouldnt do for a nice ring light. :dream:

Most reactions

Back