More D5000 Bad news

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bad Andy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Bad Andy

Bad Andy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, less than 1 week after getting my D5000 back from the recall, I received another recall notice, saying that they have discovered yet another problem. They have sent me yet another box and label to send my camera back to them.

I love my camera, but am beginning to question Nikon. I have always been a Nikon person, and being a DSLR newbie, was quite happy with my purchase. Not that it is a big deal, but this is starting to get frustrating.

If I was in the market again, maybe I would look closer at Canon or maybe the D90 or another Nikon model. Did they rush the D5000 out to market too soon? Maybe they are just being pro-active and ensuring everyone has the best possible product? I'll keep everyone posted.

-Andy

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At least they are taking care of the problem, I guess. I can understand your frustration - here's hoping this is just a small bump in your long journey of happy photo taking.

Sure would be nice if Nikon would send a new camera and have you send in yours in exchange instead of having to be without one though - especially for round two.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is getting to be almost as bad as the 1D MkIII's...

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah, but at a price point unlike the 1DmkIII. I would have been super pissed off to own one of the first mkIII's.

5. Bad Andy

Bad Andy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Almost, LOL.

I helped a friend shoot a pilot for a new reality show, and we used a 5D MK III (I think it was a MK III anyway) for a 4th camera (the other 3 were regular HD Movie cameras). It is a very awesome imaging machine, although out of my price point at this time.

I'm not sending my D5000 back in yet. I haven't had any problems, and have to many fun things coming up. Maybe later this fall I'll send it in. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Andy

6. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    that would have been a 5DmkII.....

7. Jeffro

Jeffro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing personnel but I am so glad I did not buy that one and got the D90!!! Cause I really did think about getting that one!

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With Canon and Nikon releasing new models every other quarter to try and best each other, I fear such issues will become more and more common. I wish these two would slow down, take a breath and only release a new body when they have a perfected system that has several new improvements that make it notably better than the previous release.

It looks like we're going to have to start treating cameras like new cars... never buy a new model during its first year in production. :)

9. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's the new service advisory from 2 days ago:

D5000 Service Advisory

10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not only that but electronics are more fragile so one had to expect more problems than with film bodies. Will we ever see a 50 yo digital body still in use. I seriously doubt it.

And just like cars with computers everywhere, digital cameras are harder to work on yourself. Another way to get more of your money.

11. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    they are rushing to put out entry level bodies. so who cares. at the ridiculously low prices these thing hit the market at you should expect some lack of QA. but look how long it took to release the D300s and 5D Mk2, and even the 50D if i'm not mistaken. it seems to me they take great pride in the prosumer and pro bodies/lenses and go through much more rigorous testing/QA. the 1D MkIII being an exception but i highly doubt the issues were due to a lack of care or rush to market.

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Assuming batteries are still available, I would say digital cameras are quite durable. Heck, I see people trading original digital 1D's still and I'm surprised at the prices they still command (and their images are still beautiful). Granted, they're only about 10 years old now, but I suspect many of them will still be shooting in another 10-20 years - assuming you can still get batteries for them. Not many people except collectors still shoot with 50 year old film bodies. The occasional hobbyist or eccentric pro might shoot with an antique for the sake of being unique, but I would guess 99% of the "pros" and serious hobbyists will shoot with something a little more current.

So I don't put much stock into the "it will still be shooting when you're dead" notion. It's really not relevant to me.

Yes, digital bodies are infinitely more complex than mechanical film bodies but I wouldn't say this makes them drastically less durable. I certainly wouldn't want to see a return to film and as time marches on the digital bodies only become more robust and durable. Ironically, the most common failures one sees in the current crop of DSLR's are of the mechanical components (shutters as an example). Solid state electronics are very durable. If it's good when it leaves the factory, barring moisture or other physical damage, they last for quite a long time.

When your camera needs regular service, what does the factory tech usually do? Replace the shutter. :) As for problems in communication between lenses and bodies, even if we were still using film this would be happening today. Lens based AF systems would still be employed and current designs are electronic and not mechanical. Why? Because electronic focusing is faster and more quiet than the older mechanical designs.

And lets not fool ourselves, film bodies required service too.