More filter confusion!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by meg27, Nov 6, 2005.

1. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

Hi there,
    leading on from my last post, i have decided to buy a set of cokin filters with adapters and series filter holder. I'm about to bid for a used set on ebay, only gunna pay about twenty quid so its worth it, even if the filters are no good. However, the guy selling these filters has listed which ones are included, and even with help of google, i haven't managed to work out exactly what each of them are for! If anyone could shed any light on any of the following i would be really greatful! The terms and abreviations don't seem to match the terms used on the cokin, website! So if anyone knows a good resource for finding out which each filter does that would be even better!!!

Any way here goes:

001 coef + 1/3 Yellow,

002 coef +1 orange,

028 coef + 1/3 Warm (81 C),

056 Star 8,

060 Spot- Incolor 1

160 linear pola ..........(i'm presuming this is a polariser?)

197 Sunset (graduated).........(i presume this is just something to add a sunset effect? Could do that in photoshop!)

830 Diffuser 1 .......(is this like to make the image softe???)

As you can tell i need all the help i can get!!!!! So Thankyou!

2. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Try the Cokin website http://www.cokin.fr/ico3-p0.html

The filters are listed in different sections (ie Coloured, diffractors, polarizers etc) so you may need to search through each section to find the one you're after, but they're all listed by the numbers you quote at the start of each filter.

Once you've found the filters you're after, click on them to get an example of what they can do to your pics :thumbup:

(For such a well known and well used company, I find Cokin's website rather 'garish' to say the least... not the best design, and some of the sample photos are quite poor, but at least it should give you an idea...)

3. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

working in web design myself i completely agree! Its probably why i didn't give it much of a chance first time round! But i will have another go!

4. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

ok, i can see that i'm getting a rather garish set of filters, but a couple of useful ones!
    So I've looked up the numbers (001 etc..) but what does the 'coef + 1/3 Yellow' mean?

5. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Not sure about the 'coef', but I think the +1/3 is the Filter Factor - ie how much light the filter cuts out... if you're using an in-camera meter, you shouldn't need to worry about this, as the meter will be measuring the light coming through the filter anyway.

6. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

cool thanks! After all that i lost the bid anyway!!! But there are plenty more good ones!!

7. meg27

meg27 TPF Noob!

ooh, and by the way, try www.cokin.co.uk rather than com! Much cleaner site!!

P.s Actually i take that back! The sections about the different filters is still absolutely pants!