More kite realted pics for C&C

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I am getting better. It was another beautiful day at the park, and I had a blast flying kites, and taking pics. From my latest batch of pics I see more things I need to pay attention to, especially my metering. I got a few washed out or subjects too dark because of the sky. I really need to work on that. Again, I am looking for comments more about composition. I think my focusing is getting better.
3521148486_9f8a8bdb53_o.jpg

#2 This crop bothers me, but just past the crop on the left was too obtrusive.
3520337209_db3a916018_o.jpg

#3 This bothers me because the sky is too bright, and the guy is too dark.
Tv: 1/640Sec. Av: F5.6
Metering Modes: Spot (<--I think this is the problem) ISO Speed: 100
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
3520336329_7d328b366a_o.jpg

#4 I know it's kind of boring. If you are into kites, you'd appreciate it more, I think. This is called an "F-Stop Bol" and it spins pretty fast. I was quite pleased to freeze it, and get a good sharp image. No "sharpen" used here. :thumbup:
3521146880_c285bcdaae_o.jpg

#5 was a tough crop for me. This girls little brother was a camera ham. He would stop playing and pose for the camera. So annoying :| He was out of focus, so I cropped him out. Then the left side had something unappealing as well. What would you do in this instance? A verticle crop of the girl? But then you lose scale of the spikey ball. BTW, my other hobby is kite building, and I made that spikey ball :mrgreen:.
3521146972_4f2e6abe18_o.jpg

My goal is to capture the fun and spirit of kite flying, while trying to avoid that "snapshot" feel. am I getting there?

Thanks for your comments,
David

*gah! I wish you could edit the thread title :grumpy:*

Last edited:
The first and second do nothing for me.

In the third, I actually like the fact that the man is underexposed. It adds drama and makes the kite stand out.

The F-stop bol: is it upside down? the strings are coming from the top...

And the last one... would convey more emotions if the girl's face was visible, with laughter or excitement visible.

You might want to try different point of view photos, like shooting near someone's hand as they hold the kite, or shooting from behind the kite as it's being held up and about to take off.

The F-stop bol is sharp, yes, but sometimes a bit of well placed motion blur can be quite dramatic as well!

Cheers.

These are much better than the last! I see the note about the subject relationships was taken into consideration here. I like the first although I wish the line between the girl and the kite was more diagonal. The 4th is a good exposure and had it been located in the lower left corner, I think the composition would be stronger (all the points are facing upper right, as well as the lines leading the eye there). The colors on this shot also look great. I think you could push the saturation a bit with some of the others since you're dealing with such a wide array of colors. Great improvement here though, I am liking what I see!

Most reactions

Back