more monitor discussion LCD CRT

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, I have been doing some research and have read from many people that the CRT is the way to go with photo editing. I just really do not want a big bulky piece of equipment. I also read that going with the Trinitron CRT is one of the best for what I need it for. I was looking at 19" and 21" Trinitrons and they are actually fairly cheap and found some that look like flat panel monitors anyways. My husband said he would take the new widescreen/flat LCD he got me for himself (go figure LOL) and let me get the CRT if that is what I need. I am just not sure if that is the way to go or not...that is where your input comes in!!
I really like the widescreen it is so awesome to be able to view an image at full size and see ALL of it! Can I do that with a squared screen - non/widescreen 19 or 21" CRT?
Soo, as in my other thread, some said CRT, Joe said LCD..help me!! LOL

they're better at different things. CRTs have slightly more accurate color production, LCDs have better per pixel sharpness...these days is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I use an LCD, a lot of people do...a lot of people don't. I think these days it's personal preference.

hm. i thought it had been established that LCDs have caught up with CRTs?

Let's put it this way...if you have $400+ to spend, go LCD. much clearer pictures, and if you get a monitor large enough it makes for a very very good screen to display images to clients. just check reviews and make sure you're getting a good LCD (i'd recommend Dell's ultrasharp widescreens, eizo monitors, and that other expensive brand that starts with an L...i forgot the name).

if you're on a budget, go CRT without a doubt. you can get an extremely good 21" CRT for under $300 if you search around ebay.

keep in mind that if you have a calibration system most monitors and lcds will do fine. I ended up going with an LCD (dell's 2005fpw - their ultrasharp widescreen with the best color production and the lowest price :) ), but mostly for looks and space - both of which are/were important.

Thanks guys. The guy at the store told me I should get a digital card? for my computer and switch my new monitor over from analog to digital. Does this really make a big difference?
I just looked around on ebay and found a Dell Ultrasharp 2007fpw and right in my price range! I will talk to my husband and see if he would care if I got it off of Ebay lol. He is one of those types that has to see it, feel it, touch it, before he buys it at a store.

MommyOf4Boys said:
Thanks guys. The guy at the store told me I should get a digital card? for my computer and switch my new monitor over from analog to digital. Does this really make a big difference?
I just looked around on ebay and found a Dell Ultrasharp 2007fpw and right in my price range! I will talk to my husband and see if he would care if I got it off of Ebay lol. He is one of those types that has to see it, feel it, touch it, before he buys it at a store.
a card with a DVI out makes a big difference...I (for a time) had 2 identical monitors (like my big on here), and the one using the DVI was much sharper and had much better color representation and contrast than the one on the VGA out...it's not necessary, but you can pick up an older RADEON card for $50 these days...

In my personal opinion, LCDs have not caught up with CRTs. I have a very nice Dell LCD, and it's great for text, and DVDs, but for using photoshop, it is just terrible. The contrast changes depending on how you look at it, and in my opinion it's overly sharp, leaving my prints less sharp than I want, because I'm conservative with the USM.

I use 2 Trinitron CRTs, and have for years. They work great, although they do take up a lot of space.

ok, well i think i have it all figured out. Get a Dell Ultrasharp widescreen LCD and a Trinitron CRT and set them up side by side with a spliter so that I can see what I am editing on both monitors LMAO!!

ok, well i think i have it all figured out. Get a Dell Ultrasharp widescreen LCD and a Trinitron CRT and set them up side by side with a spliter so that I can see what I am editing on both monitors LMAO!!

That's what I will be doing, one of these days. Well, not an Ultrasharp wide screen...but I have a decent, fairly large LCD on my home computer...and at work I have a quite large CRT Trinitron that probably cost $900 a few years ago. My work is changing to all LCD screens and they are ordering me a big one...and they said I could have my CRT for $20.

Digital Matt said:
In my personal opinion, LCDs have not caught up with CRTs. I have a very nice Dell LCD, and it's great for text, and DVDs, but for using photoshop, it is just terrible. The contrast changes depending on how you look at it, and in my opinion it's overly sharp, leaving my prints less sharp than I want, because I'm conservative with the USM.

I use 2 Trinitron CRTs, and have for years. They work great, although they do take up a lot of space.

not all Dell LCDs are like this...my ultrasharp doesnt change color or contrast by viewing angle, and is apparently not 'too sharp' because my prints have been turning out plenty sharp.

I didn't say all Dell LCDs are like that. I just said it's my opinion that CRTs are better at this point. I don't care for LCDs.

ok, I found a few Dell Ultrasharp widescreens on ebay, but my husband is leary about buying a monitor on Ebay. He told me to wait and he will get me one for Christmas and he will take the LG I just got for his computer.

I wouldn't use two monitors to see the difference during editing. It's very hard to get them simillarly calibrated. The second monitor is just for the tools in photoshop, so you can have one large monitor for the image alone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back