More Noise?

doenoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.daanschouwe.nl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so i have a Canon 350D for a while now and still love that camera. But now, after 55.000+ shots, i notice there is more noise in my pictures. Is it that the sensor gets older and thus produces more noise?
I really dont like noise in my pictures and maybe im just being too picky. I dont know.......but i think i have to buy a new camera if it is due to the sensor or whatnot. And if its just my imagination.....i still have to buy a new camera ;)

hehe of course you need a new camera ;)
the question is FF or crop sensor.

As for noise I am not certain if its the aging sensor or not - but I belive that the rebels are noted as being around 50000 shutters before they start to become at risk from shutter death! So I think its definatly a good time to move towards a new camera.

*ps my money is on a 5D or if you can 5DM2 - larger frame for getting more in a shot - great at 1:1 macro - and also improved higher ISO with less noise - good since you do lose 1 stop of depth of field in comparison to a crop sensor camera - so f16 rather than f13 (probivded that that is one stops difference ;))

- good since you do lose 1 stop of depth of field in comparison to a crop sensor camera - so f16 rather than f13 (probivded that that is one stops difference ;))
I never heard that before. Why is that?

I've been researching a new camera as well. The 5Dmkii is looking like the one for me. Fabulous low noise performance. Have to wait until March or so though before I have the $ for it.

The closer you are to something, the shallower your depth of field. To photograph something using the same composition on both formats, you would need to stand closer to it with the full frame camera, hence, less depth.

The closer you are to something, the shallower your depth of field. To photograph something using the same composition on both formats, you would need to stand closer to it with the full frame camera, hence, less depth.
I still dont get that...
"The closer you are to something, the shallower your depth of field." I know that, but what does that have to do with FF and Crop?

To get the same framing with a full frame camera as you would a crop camera, you have to move a fair bit closer to your subject. That getting closer is what changes your depth.

I still dont get that...
"The closer you are to something, the shallower your depth of field." I know that, but what does that have to do with FF and Crop?

Think of it this way, if you're shooting a model on location. You have 2 cameras, a 50D and a Sinar 4x5. You shoot two pictures, frame the exact same way, shoot both at f/8. For APS-C, the "Normal" focal length is about 30mm. On 4x5, it's about 210mm. If they're framed the same, shot from the same distance, both at f/8 which will have shallower DOF?

The 4x5, becuase in order to have the same field of view, it needs a longer lens.

Just like 35mm and aps-c, to have an angle of view of 28mm, you need an 18mm lens. What's going to have shallower DOF at the matching apertures? the 28mm!

Ok, so i have a Canon 350D for a while now and still love that camera. But now, after 55.000+ shots, i notice there is more noise in my pictures. Is it that the sensor gets older and thus produces more noise?--
go back and check your old shot to see if they have more or less noise that you recall and if any of the setting are different, any changes lighting and pp styles?

You are just noticing this in comparison to the beautiful low noise shots from cameras today, so it is time for an upgrade.

Actually Jeff makes a good point - go back and check an older shot and reedit it again as you would now and see if you get the same result as you did in the past. Its might be that you have changed your editing without really realising it and that is leading to a difference.

Good plan. I just checked, but in the beginning i just shot JPEG and nowadays i shoot RAW. So there allready is a difference. But i compared some shots from then and now with somewhat the same settings and there isnt alot of difference. Must be my imagination.
But still, a new camera is probably needed, since my shutterbutton isnt working perfectly anymore. Fullframe is a bit too expensive for me, but the 50D looks pretty interesting. Darn it, now i have to gather all kinds of information about camera's again......my life really sucks :lmao:

Go to popphoto.com and look at their camera reviews. They are thorough and have objective measurements that you can use to compare cameras. Not just somebody's opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back