more practice- flowers c&c please

cynicalbeauty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These arn't very exciting. Actually, I am getting frusterated. I cannot drive and am limited to my yard most days. Fortunatly,we do have quite the array of flowers. Unfortunatly, I am sorta sick of using them as subjects.

The first two are obviously my attempt to set up a scene of sorts had a bit of a challege with the lighting. The room was dim and the indor lights were makeing things orange. These two were the best of the bunch.

roseandvase2.jpg

roseandvase.jpg

The last three are just shots from the garden. Direct sunlight.
34468_778056581435_22422587_4439899.jpg

dontknow.jpg

dying.jpg

Sometimes when you are the most limited is when you can the most creative. IMO not bad shots. Im not digging that last one tho because dying flowers dont interest me.. To me the focus and composition seem good.
You can work on macro's, portraits of whoever passes by, bugs and critters or birds. You can take the camera with you whenever you do get the chance to go somewhere. Just keep trying and being creative.

I have to disagree. These are so cliche, seen em a million times...except for #3 and I think the dying flower is actually more interesting than some pretty rose by a vase thing. It's a good direction that you tried going against the grain, try some more of that! If it had the correct lighting and better composition, it could have been something really great. When looking at the ordinary through your camera, try different angles that can make them look different or interesting. :)

Thanks. I do feel like I get to work on composition a bit more being that there is nothing new to shoot. Plus, I spend a lot of time reading about photography too. I do plan on taking my camera with me this weekend for all the 4th of July celabrations. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good shot of fireworks. :biggrin:

I have to disagree. These are so cliche, seen em a million times...except for #3 and I think the dying flower is actually more interesting than some pretty rose by a vase thing.

Yeah, I know the first two are a major cliche. It was more about trying to get the exposure right in a difficult sitiuation then it was the image. Although, I suppose making you guys look at it was a little mean. LOL I'll try and keep the cliches to myself. (at least as much as possible concidering my yard is full of em.)

Thanks for the advice. :mrgreen:

When you get bored of the same old stuff it can also be a time to divert your attention to maybe learning more about your editing programs and the many possiblities that go with that. Its very good that you're reading alot. Keep at it.
Look at the many threads about fireworks setup so you can go in with an basic knowledge of where to start.

3 and 4 are good. The cliche ones have potential w some editing.

Welcome to TPF! Here are my thoughts:

The best of the five, but the one leaf is cut off...don't know why it distracts me, just does.

Would be another good one, but the glass is growing out of the flower. Shouldn't it be the other way around? :sexywink:

I see what you going for. Next time, fill more of the frame and have more of the subject in focus. Seems too shallow at this point.

I really enjoy this one, but again, I think it may be a little more powerful had you filled more of the frame with the subject.

The right side of the subject starts to merge with the black in an undesirable way. Too much contrast between the left of the subject and the right and the green on the right is distracting a tad.

Good work. Hope to see more progress soon! See ya 'round on the forums...

Thanks Katy, Those are edits. but I just fixed some basic stuff. I am not great with the more complicated editing yet, but its one of the things I'm working on.

Agent, Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean with #1 and #2. #3 gave me the most trouble. I just couldn't get the camera to do what I wanted because I was leaned over and uncomfortable. I might try the same shot from my wheelchair or using my tripod and see if that works.

Is this better for #4?
dontknow2.jpg

I didn't post it because the highlights seemed a little strong.

I up the contrast on #5 it may have been too much. :)

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back