More questions about lightroom and photoshop...

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by IvyJade, Nov 7, 2008.

1. IvyJade

IvyJade TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my detailed research that I do b/c I am too damn anal...heh, I have found some things I am concerned.

The adobe gurus of NAPP or whatever said that Photoshop or CS4 was for everyone whereas the new lightroom was for photographers. Well, apparently, lightroom is for quick fixes and detail work of lights and shadows and fixing colors rather than complete changes.

Now, I have photoshop 8, I think, and have just ordered lightroom 2.

My question, for the taking out of things, erasing reflections, etc needs to be done in photoshop and then the small details done in lightroom?

I have noticed that it appears lightroom is more for faces and landscapes then anything else.

Just looking professional advice

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop and Lightroom shouldn't be compared in that way. Photoshop is an all encompassing photo/image editing program. Lightroom is a 'workflow' software. Lightroom makes it easier and faster to edit/work though a large number of images in an efficient way.

Also, Lightroom has a 'non-destructive' workflow. This means that when you make changes or edits to images in Lightroom, you aren't actually changing (and thus damaging) the original images. Lightroom saves just the changes that you made. This way you can go back and make as many changes as you want, the orriginal integrity of the image is maintained. The changes are only applied when you output the image.

Lightroom does have some editing functionality. Think of them as a convenience, so that you can make some changes without having to bring the image into Photoshop. If all you need are small tweaks and edits, then maybe you could skip Photoshop altogether, which is a real time saver if you are working through a couple hundred or thousand images. But if you want to so some real editing, then Photoshop is still the way to go.

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Adobe add more editing option with Lightroom 2 to keep up with Aperture 2, so depending on your editing needs are you may be able to do what you what in Lightroom. It has simple editing such as crop, resides, levels, curves, RAW controls, and more.

4. IvyJade

IvyJade TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking to be able to do what lightroom does as well as lets say like below removing the reflection off the fender...ETC

Well, a sample would be this:
    [​IMG]

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^
    With basic commands you could use clone and spot healing and maybe some type of blur trement not sure LR2 will do those commands

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008