more spam

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Flicking through those books I bought the other day (they arrived today, that was quick!) I saw that you can make contact sheets with a desk lamp. He didn't go into too great a detail, so has anyone got any advice on this? It seems a good idea to me, if it gives ok(ish) results. It did say to use soft paper (not knowing anything about enlarging all I know is what he said there, that it is more forgiving than hard) and not worry too much about the negatives being perfectly flat. To get them flatter you can lay some glass on them but that could introduce dust to the negatives, or pin them down by placing something on the ends of the negative strips. But that is all it said in there.

Aha! That I am aware of, kinda.

Any advice on exposure? How long, how close should the lamp be to the sheet etc.

ferny said:
I just flicked onto the Jessops site and they grade their b&w paper 0 (extra soft) to 7 (hardest).

http://www.jessops.com/search/intellisearch.cfm?node=349

Must be another term for the contrast grade. I hadn't heard it like that tho. And they only go up to 5 here. I think I would just get a variable contrast instead of a graded paper.

For exposure, I am thinking maybe the lamp 2 feet up above the paper, for like 5 seconds and see how that comes out. then adjust as necessary. I dunno there are a lot of factors that could affect it... I'm just making it up... :D

But is the image going to last? You'll still want to fix it out, I'm thinking, or your image will fade quickly and your paper will go black.

Or something. :wink:

Does he go on to tell you how to fix the image for permanence?

Nope. It's a book about enlarging though. It's "The Focal Guide to Enlarging". So it covers it all, or should.

Can't I like open the curtains and look at it? ;)

ferny said:
Nope. It's a book about enlarging though. It's "The Focal Guide to Enlarging". So it covers it all, or should.

Can't I like open the curtains and look at it? ;)

Sure. Just be sure to post your results here. :wink:

That's good then.

How about flicking the light on and off when I need to read the next step in the book?

ferny said:
That's good then.

How about flicking the light on and off when I need to read the next step in the book?

You may have a seizure! :shock:

Or give yourself a Sabattier effect and kind of glow at the edges. :p

Ok then. Daylight is fine, house lights are a bit of a no-no unless you want funk.

Got it. You're so helpful. :)

:mrgreen:

Oh, whilst I'm upping the post count. What sort of quality should I expect? Good enough to scan into the computer to show you guys or perhaps play with? Or just about ok enough the check if I want the negative printed?

Most reactions

Back