More Sunsets - trying to get a good exposure

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sunsets are tough to get, especially with digital, because of the broad dynamic range. Let me know what you think of these. I tried to underexpose the sky a bit for more saturated colors, but the foregrounds are fairly dark as a result. Everything looks much darker than it was to my eye, which will always be the case I'm sure, but I think this was a pretty fair trade.

What I really need is to get a graduated neutral density filter.

reflecting.jpg

set_sun.jpg

I really like these because they arent straight sunset shots. I prefer if there is something else in the shot with the sunset.
These do that well.
The 1st is my favourite...makes me want to go out and follow the sea and sun. :)
Thanks for sharing them Matt.

Both great shots, though I prefer the second because it's uncluttered. tommorow might be different, but today I like uncluttered. :wink:

Hey great pics. I like them both. Number one for its sihlouette and number two for the um.... white streaks in the sky? What are those, i have no idea what they are but i like em alot :oops:

Matt, you've done a fine job with these, great composition on the first and I enjoy the swirly clouds pierced by vapour trails in the second one.

is the thin narrow band by the horizon part of a dock/jetty/penisula?

Thanks everyone :) Karalee: Those are jet vapour trails as Vonnagy said.

vonnagy said:
is the thin narrow band by the horizon part of a dock/jetty/penisula?

Yeah, it's actually a breakwall that extends out a ways there to minimize the waves and wake near the beach. No surfing on Lake Erie :p

I'll post a link to a wallpaper sized version for ya c0ntr0lz. What's your resolution?

Here's a link to a big enough one I think: http://www.anti-rejection.com/wallpaper/set_sun.jpg

Wonderful shots! The woman in the first one makes that centered horizon line work, and such solitude. That 2nd one is just beautiful too but I can't stop seeing the Verizon "check mark" with those plane lines, hee hee.

Wow, great pictures DMatt. Exposing for a sunset can definitely be tricky, but you did a great job with these. The darkness sets the mood. The first one has character but the second one has a really nice grand feel to it.

I have to agree with everyone else, these are great!!! I'm a fan of the second one as well! I love the colors. :D

Most reactions

Back