More thoughts needed

bryanwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You will see all of the following images. You will see all of the following images. You will see all of the following images. We will not have another Fiasco of the Cows. :er:

This is my second portrait shoot, this time with Andria (Tara, the other young lady I posted, Tara, was my first). Andria and her mom were impressed with my work with Tara, and were hoping to get similar quality.

This shoot was a bit complicated for me. First, the sun was beating down like nothing else in Maryhill, Washington that day. We were on a time contraint as Andria was at a family reunion, I had a day off, and that was the only way we could get together to do these portraits.

Other than the lighting, which I know now how to do better, I would love your opinions. Mind you, it's quite a few photos I submit for your perusal.

1)
DSC_0036.jpg

2)
DSC_0041-1.jpg

3)
DSC_0055.jpg

4)
DSC_0059.jpg

5) On this one, the shadows were a bit harsh. Should have used some fill
DSC_0069.jpg

6)
DSC_0074.jpg

7) On 7 – 9, I was disappointed to have a guy in a red shirt in the background. He just would not move! I need to learn how to Photoshop him out of these.
DSC_0095.jpg

8 )
DSC_0096.jpg

9)
DSC_0098.jpg

10)
DSC_0119.jpg

11)
DSC_0128.jpg

12)
DSC_0130.jpg

13)
DSC_0158.jpg

14)
DSC_0220.jpg

15) The background is an old mansion. I wish it wasn’t skin tone…
DSC_0227.jpg

16)
DSC_0250.jpg

17)
DSC_0255.jpg

18)
DSC_0296.jpg

19)
DSC_0378.jpg

20)
DSC_0121.jpg

21)
DSC_0013.jpg

22)
DSC_0024.jpg

What did I do well, and what would you improve?

Overall, I think these are pretty good. :thumbsup: #3 is my favorite.

A few of them could use more light on her face...and a few of them could use a boost in contrast.

Getting rid of the red shirt should be pretty easy with the use of the clone stamp.

Wow, I like these. I wish I could go outside and take pictures now without freezing; I guess I will just have to wait for Spring. There are a couple that I think are a little too bright, and in number 14 I find the blur in front distracting. The first four are really good. Very good stuff over all

You have some nice poses here! I think they look good! I think many of these would look good with some contrast added. Here is one I did curves on,I hope you dont mind, let me know if you want me to take it down.
g2.jpg

I'd take a shot of getting rid of red shirt guy if you are okaying edits :)

I'd like to okay your edits, but first let me send you the full-sized images so you can have a proper image to work with :D

I'd like to set the record now, that if I post work here and you see something that you feel would be a nice change, edit, ANYTHING, post it. You have my permission.

Man, between this and the ONE other forum on which I spend any time at all, my time is now completely gone. Dangit :mrgreen:

Oh, on 14... That is a statue I shot through. Didn't know how it would come out, but we tried it anyway. It's an organic effect, right? Right? [sound of crickets]ten seconds[/sound of crickets]

Here is a photo with the statue more visible.
DSC_0216.jpg

@Mama - I love it!

@Andie - Can't wait to see your work. Again, that goes for anyone else as well.

Cool. Thanks.
In a lot of those, it looks like the shot was exposed more for the background than for the subject. You run into that a lot when you shoot in shade with sunlit areas in the background, or when the sun is to the subject's back. But then sun from the front can be harsh, like in #15. Bright sun is rather sucky all around. #3 is great, because you have diffuse light all around.

Here are a few ideas:

DSC_0036-mod.jpg

DSC_0041-1-mod.jpg

DSC_0250-mod.jpg

In all three cases I applied a curves layer to adjust the exposure to the subject, even though it can blow out the background. In bright sun, you usually have to choose one or the other, and since the subject is, well, the subject, she wins out for me. I also did a color adjust to remove some yellow.

i gave one a shot too. hope you dont mind.
i also did a curves adjustment. but i did it on a layer mask to ass a little more controll over the image. i then adjusted color and satuiration to try to correct the yellow tint. (though im not happy with the correction). i also softened the background a little, and did a very slight softening of the subject with a layer mask, to leave some selective sharpening.

DSC_0095.jpg

oh and a boarder.

@Mark and Bitter - Those are great. The only thing I don't like about the border is that it looks like her fingers get cut off... I had to go back to the original and take a look to realize that I wished I had had her extend her fingers. So the border was a good educational tool for me. But I do like the look, and it directs your eyes inward toward her.

Thank you all for your input. I have some more shoots upcoming, and I will have more questions when I get done with that!

Here's my 2 attempts at getting rid of red shirt guy :)

redshirtguy2.jpg

redshirtguy1.jpg

i played with this one because...
i need practice with editing,
and shes a beautiful girl
Pretty eyes!!
prettysnrpredit.jpg

Most reactions

Back