More to photography that just the camera and gear

with the regurtitation aspect, i feel Im not being clear again (sorry bout this). when i refer to regurgitation I refer to a painter in 2009 painting just like caravaggio (nothing new, same technique, same subject matter) and claiming artist, is out of their mind.
as with music, playing mozart and claiming artist is crazy too. sure the craft is amazing but the idea is old and stale. the latest movement in music that I feel is really pushing musical ideas and creating art is the hiphop DJ, using old music(craft) and musical theory (technique) and making brand new sound through new ideas (e.g holding down a record and pulling it back to make a noise, a noise previsouly considerd as awful has turned into something quite powerful)

So by your definition, hip hop DJs are just doing audio regurgitation. I first heard (or at least remember hearing) record scratching in 1986, Run DMC doing Walk this Way. So therefore anyone doing it 23 years later must be regurgitating, right? They are just imitating someone else's idea that was done before they were born (a lot of them anyway). Nothing real "progressive" about it now.

And, while I admire the skill involved in the craft, in my opinion, they are not artist because they are using someone else's music. But that is just my opinion and like all opinions, it is neither right or wrong.

Last edited:
These are great shots dude

Your photos will only be worse than those studios as long as your not really thinking about the photos you are taking. Just take the time to think about your subject, your composition and your light. Actually examine it don't just go ok direct sunlight is bad for photos. Actually think about your end result. Light bounces off everything in different ways if you start to pay very close attention you will find it's pretty easy to see. You have green light bouncing up from the grass on a sunny day or red light coming in from a red roof on a building 200 ft away. These factors play a major roll in your end result and make the diffrence between snap shots and planned shots.

image07.jpg

with the regurtitation aspect, i feel Im not being clear again (sorry bout this). when i refer to regurgitation I refer to a painter in 2009 painting just like caravaggio (nothing new, same technique, same subject matter) and claiming artist, is out of their mind.
as with music, playing mozart and claiming artist is crazy too. sure the craft is amazing but the idea is old and stale. the latest movement in music that I feel is really pushing musical ideas and creating art is the hiphop DJ, using old music(craft) and musical theory (technique) and making brand new sound through new ideas (e.g holding down a record and pulling it back to make a noise, a noise previsouly considerd as awful has turned into something quite powerful)

So by your definition, hip hop DJs are just doing audio regurgitation. I first heard (or at least remember hearing) record scratching in 1986, Run DMC doing Walk this Way. So therefore anyone doing it 23 years later must be regurgitating, right? They are just imitating someone else's idea that was done before they were born (a lot of them anyway). Nothing real "progressive" about it now.

And, while I admire the skill involved in the craft, in my opinion, they are not artist because they are using someone else's music. But that is just my opinion and like all opinions, it is neither right or wrong.

Noise as music has actually been around much longer than that. See Frank Zappa's first appearance on TV in the late 60s. Then there was the guy who wrote an orchestral piece with a vacuum cleaner as the soloist... :D

Nothing new under the sun.

These are great shots dude

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the above statement is your proof. Alleh's point was that these shots were far from "good" on many levels, especially if you leave the control of the lighting to chance, instead of taking control of it yourself.

If you want to see "good", at least check out the man's website. It has a lot of "good" in there. ;) :D

"nothing new under the sun"

ahhhh yea. I dont think I have the energy to try to convince anyone :S
so I guess I will agree to disagree. I have no hard feelings towards anyone just so you know :) I thank you for being part of a discussion and making my brain think.

so I guess I will agree to disagree. I have no hard feelings towards anyone just so you know :) I thank you for being part of a discussion and making my brain think.

Back at you. I enjoy friendly debates like this, it does give me a chance to exercise the brain. :thumbup:

Plus, there are about 6 billion different definitions of what "real" or "true" art is, so there will never be a resolution to the question of what is art. ;)

Back at you. I enjoy friendly debates like this, it does give me a chance to exercise the brain. :thumbup:

Plus, there are about 6 billion different definitions of what "real" or "true" art is, so there will never be a resolution to the question of what is art. ;)

I'll second that emotion. High time to let this corpse rot in peace :lol:

But if you come back in a couple weeks and tell me you've found Zappa's video, I'll give you a :thumbup: just for making sure I'm not just full of it. :D

Lol wow I missed something.

What we really need is a L'Academie Francaise for English. They'd make a dictionary definition of art is finite. Though we may need to wait a while for that to happen. How long were the French using computers before L'Academie Francaise dictated it be called an Ordinateur? :lmao:

Photography is often seen as "the better your equipment, the better the picture!", but I've learned over the few years that I've been doing photography, that often it is "the simpler, the better". I guess you just do your best with what you have. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back