Morels and Wildflowers - C&C Please

Jacki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! So...I've been gone a few months...but I'm back, and I have a couple of pictures to share, and I am curious to know how I'm doing, and what I need to improve.

4515041890_d4324100c4_b.jpg

4514405727_a0d9008d9b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but the pics seem a bit dull. Not sure if they need more brightness, more contrast, or both, but something is missing from them IMHO.

Both are composed all centrally, subject being smack in the middle of the photo.
I know: that's where usually there is the focus point inside the viewfinder or display of the camera and people point the camera, wait for the bleep that the autofocus has focussed and take the photo. With the result that their subject is right in the very centre of their frame.

That, however, often makes images boring, as they are totally balanced and there is not even a hint of "tension" there.

Focus, quickly recompose, THEN take the photo.

Other than that: focus is ok, DOF is nice, too. I guess, these are SOOC (straight out of camera)?

Both are composed all centrally, subject being smack in the middle of the photo.
I know: that's where usually there is the focus point inside the viewfinder or display of the camera and people point the camera, wait for the bleep that the autofocus has focussed and take the photo. With the result that their subject is right in the very centre of their frame.

That, however, often makes images boring, as they are totally balanced and there is not even a hint of "tension" there.

Focus, quickly recompose, THEN take the photo.

Other than that: focus is ok, DOF is nice, too. I guess, these are SOOC (straight out of camera)?

Yes, they are straight out of the camera. I am going to see if I can make them any better in PP. I don't use autofocus either. All the settings were done manually for these shots. I am pretty sure that there is a way for me to move the focusing bracket on my camera, but I don't really know how. :scratch:

Hi Jacki,

Yes focus and DOF are fine. Difficult to know what to say constructively because don't know what you were trying to achieve. If the scene is what you wanted, then I agree with what's been said. However, if the flowerhead and fungus were the main subjects, maybe get closer to them with your macro lens. Maybe something like this --

By my cropping of your original so much it has degraded this somewhat.

By the way, may I ask what happened to your Exif data?

Hi Jacki,

Yes focus and DOF are fine. Difficult to know what to say constructively because don't know what you were trying to achieve. If the scene is what you wanted, then I agree with what's been said. However, if the flowerhead and fungus were the main subjects, maybe get closer to them with your macro lens. Maybe something like this --

I like what you did, thanks for the idea! And, my EXIF data is not showing up? That's odd. I'm using Google Chrome, do you think that's why? :scratch:

The flower:
f/4.5
1/200
ISO 200
0 step
Focal length 16mm
max aperture 3.625

Mushroom:
f/4.5
1/200 sec
ISO 200
0 step
Focal length 21mm
max aperture 4

Hi Jacki,

I like what you did, thanks for the idea! And, my EXIF data is not showing up? That's odd. I'm using Google Chrome, do you think that's why? :scratch:

Hi Jacki,

I don't know much about Google Chrome except that it's a browser, but I wouldn't think it's the reason why.

Just a thought, I use PSPX3 to resize, etc. When I click "Save As" and then "Options" I get the option to "Save Exif". I always take that option, because if I don't then ...........

I know that I still have the Exif on the original image (I always use copies to submit here and elsewhere) but I find it can be of interest to people. Sometimes it's compulsory.

Maybe in your editing prog. you don't have that option, or maybe you do but ...........

Take a look.

These were straight out of my Canon G11, I didn't put them in any editing program yet. I'm going to though, and repost them, so I will try what you said, and see if it works. :)

Here are my edits. I tried to get the pictures to look the way I saw the objects with my eyes, which is what I trying to achieve I guess. I saw a lot of beauty in both the flower and morel, and I want to try to portray that to the viewer of the pictures.

4523888684_f1a8158369_b.jpg

4523889714_782b812958_b.jpg

HI Jacki
Here is my rendition of your lovely image. I just used levels in pscs2 to establish the black and white points giving the background more color and that automatically added contrast between the subject and the b/g. I almost always use the black / white points to every photo it also helps with colorcast.
838661319_ME2vp-M.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I am not the best at PP yet, so I am not entirely sure what you are talking about, but I see the difference, for sure. I currently use GIMP, but I am getting PS6 soon.

Nice edit randallone. Like others said, both images seem sort of dull. But there is plenty of potential.

It's a good start, but I agree with the above posts. Just practicing with different settings and such may help with whatever colors, etc. you want to achieve. The beauty of still life.

Very nice! I am not the best at PP yet, so I am not entirely sure what you are talking about, but I see the difference, for sure. I currently use GIMP, but I am getting PS6 soon.
I use GIMP also. If you go up to the option "Colors" on the top, and you will see the option "Levels" when you click on it. It's probably the first thing I do when editing photos. You can tweak some colors, brightness, and contrast with it.

Most reactions

Back