Morgan Mare - Making Her Stand Out

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Saddlebreds4me, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi Everyone,

I went to the barn today and shot some photos of this mare - the owners are looking to sell her, so I wanted to get the best shots I could with what I had. Because this is the time of year that horses get their winter coats, she actually got body clipped and looks a bit grey to me - any suggestions on making her "pop" for an ad in a print publication? Her normal color is dark bay or almost black - but definitely NOT black. I was playing with color saturation and fill light but wanted to see if someone had any other ideas.

Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd suggest using the colour-balance sliders to fine-adjust the colour you want.

3. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right is original as you posted...Left is simple edit.

Darken a touch using levels, unsharpmask, increase exposure a touch.

[​IMG]

4. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you both! DRoberts, I like the added definition you provided in your edit - I think it makes this mare's beauty come through just a tad more.

Thanks again!

5. MrsMoo

MrsMoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that is a stunning horse! :D

6. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! I think so too! She really is as cute as a button - with the personality to match. This is only the second time I've shot her so I was working hard to find the cadence of her stride (something when shooting horses, you quickly need to assess! LOL!). I think she's just gorgeous!

7. MrsMoo

MrsMoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    amazing! I'd love a horse, my mum had one when she was younger

8. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't get me started :) It's NEVER too late!!! I know that when I become too old to ride, (I'm only 38 now so hopefully I've got a few more years!) but then I will drive - and after that - I will have them out in my pastures to greet me every morning. They do need to come with a surgeon general's warning about addiction though!

They are better than any PhD therapist ever thought of being!! LOL!

9. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

yes, absolutely... they are addictive. I have three... :blushing: I'm a re-rider at 32 and I LOVE it... :mrgreen: Of course I am eyeing up the saddle and wondering if I should get a cutback or dressage saddle for my Tennessee Walker - although I am jumping her and that may not be a good idea... hmmm...

10. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go cutback...go cutback....LOL!

No really do whatever makes your heart get up and dance. I love all disciplines but the Saddlebreds and Morgans and TWH really have captured my heart!

I rode QH and Morgans for years but had always admired the Saddlebred. In 1996 I got my first one and never looked back. I really want one to do dressage with before I die - It's on my "bucket list". :lol:

11. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

This may be a stupid question, but can you still jump in a cutback saddle? I have an All Purpose Collegiate that lets me sit more deep seated then a hunter/jumper saddle, but I can still jump fairly well in it. Doing a hunter pace this month...

I actually never wanted gaited breeds but my new mare became available, and I couldn't say no.... I'm having a blast with her being gaited, though - no posting in the saddle... woohoo! :)

12. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've done it :) I would say if you are just playing around it's fine - if you really want to pursue it I'd go for the hunter/jumper type saddle. Your all purpose saddle also sounds like it should be fine for what your are doing as well.

I have a two year old who is just starting to rack - and you know what they say "once you rack, you never go back!" A good slow gait and/or rack is about as smooth as they come if you have a horse that does it correctly.

How about posting some photos of your "kids"? I would love to see them! Or if you don't want them on the board and would send me a PM that would be great!