mornin all

-faith-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so i have just upgraded from a 1.3 megapix phone cam to a canon 400d (quite the leap lol) and a have know idea wot im doing..
its not all that bad i know that by pushing a button i get a pic but suddnly i have lads of new word thrown at me and i dont now wot they mean or the affects they have so if any one can exspain "av +/-", "meetering", "f", "iso", and any other thing u think i should know
thank you for ur help

I don't know if you realized but you just double posted this, and do yourself a favor, use better english with spell-check.

Say 'what' instead of 'wot' and 'you're' instead of 'ur'

Also, go to a bookstore and buy a book on photography that covers SLR's and the basic principals. It will do a better job of explaining basic things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal length, etc...

ISO,f/stop (aperture) and shutter speed all play a part in the exposure of the image. Learning about them will allow you to take creative photographs instead of average snapshots. Metering is how your camera determines and interprets the light of the subject /scene.

There is much more to it and I suggest that you visit this forum often along with this one http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

You should also get a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, Many people feel that it is the best book for beginners (many years ago I read the original and also bought the revised ed. when it came out). The book is not a "look what I can do" book but can almost be considered a textbook.
Lastly you may want to consider a course to learn the basics.
Enjoy the camera!:)

ok so i have just upgraded from a 1.3 megapix [sic] phone cam [sic] to a canon 400d (quite the leap lol) and a have know [sic] idea wot [sic] im [sic] doing..
its [sic] not all that bad i know that by pushing a button i get a pic [sic] but suddnly [sic] i have lads [sic] of new word thrown at me and i
[sic] dont now [sic] wot [sic] they mean or the affects [sic] they have so if any one can exspain [sic] "av +/-", "meetering [sic]", "f", "iso", and any other thing u [sic] think i [sic] should know
thank you for ur
[sic] help

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :mrgreen: I know this is the internet, but please try to use even remotely correct grammar.

Metering is the calculation of shutter speed, and aperture based on the amount of light going through a lens. "f" stands for fraction (as in fraction of the focal length: f1.8 or f5.6 for example, would be 1.8/[focal length]). ISO is the "speed" of the film, or simulated film in a DSLR. The faster, the more sensitive to light it is, resulting in less light needed for the same result (compared to a slower, lower ISO).

Hope that helped a bit. I would suggest buying a book on SLR cameras and photography.

Does anyone else see the humor in the thread title? After reading the original post I feel the same.

Does anyone else see the humor in the thread title? After reading the original post I feel the same.
Yeah i noticed that too.

I don't know if you realized but you just double posted this...

Well, I now realised this and therefore merged the two threads into one.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, -faith-.

It helps many readers/viewers a lot (mostly so those whose first language is not English, of which we have MANY on here) if you type proper English and skip the computer abbreviations that are often used in "chatroom-English". Thank you in advance.

The second (identical to the first) thread was titled "Lost in Translation" ... and this title unfortunately got lost in the merging process, so I thought I'd put it out again for all those who wonder what the title was that Icon72 and others are now talking about.

And -faith- ... they feel lost in translation because of the way you typed up your text. Please make sure you type proper English ... and if spelling does not come easy to you, have a spell checker proof-read your texts. This is nothing but a friendly advice, for we know from experience on here that readable posts are ... well... more readable ... more reader-friendly. See?

Check the box your camera came in. There should be a book in it that will explain how to use the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back