Morning raptors...

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Certainly no noteworthy shots by me, but with the temp @ 69º and mild wind whose complaining on Jan 11th? :)

There was also a Crested Cara Cara but only a butt shot going away. Literally hundreds of vultures(both species) for the forty miles to the refuge...this is the Vulture Riviera in the Winter months.
1 Red-tailed Hawk
270A5419web.jpg

2 Northern Harrier male
270A5423web.jpg

3 American Kestrel
270A5441web.jpg

270A5458web.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set lucky you to get to see the Crested cara cara

Ten years ago they were a great rarity this far north. Today they are all over the place.
Wish they were all over the place in canada Dont think they come to canada very often and for the vultures of both species i am assuming turkey vulture and black is that correct?

IMG_6869.jpg

Ten years ago they were a great rarity this far north. Today they are all over the place.
Wish they were all over the place in canada Dont think they come to canada very often and for the vultures of both species i am assuming turkey vulture and black is that correct?

yes, on the vultures. side note the CaraCara is a sort of hybrid vulture raptor. It cannot grasp with its feet. It kills with its powerful beak but prefers carrion.

View attachment 133047

yes, on the vultures. side note the CaraCara is a sort of hybrid vulture raptor. It cannot grasp with its feet. It kills with its powerful beak but prefers carrion.
Nice shot i had heard of that but did not know it was true

I am very envious of the Kestrel shots. A local lake has at least one hanging around but I can't get close enough to get a satisfactory pic. Great job!

I am very envious of the Kestrel shots. A local lake has at least one hanging around but I can't get close enough to get a satisfactory pic. Great job!

watch closely and I'd bet a good cup of coffee you will find it has a favorite perch. If so start hanging aroud in the vicinity, not to close. Just enough for it to get used to you. then when you see it on that perch move slowly, and diagonally zig zagging towards it. If it is hunting it will return to that perch so hang around.

Nice set, number 4 for the winner here!

Nice set, number 4 for the winner here!

TOughest, and luckiest shot of the bunch. The little suckers are faaaast and to get one in the frame, and focused is pretty much luck with me...when I do it's usually a couple days before I get the grin off my face. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back