Mossy Rocks (How is it?)

TJ_Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tjs-photographs.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like this picture. But I want to know what other people think of it.
60b41b8a0ec49872fd8b316f4a51f8a6.jpg

Sent From Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I think the composition is okay, but it looks like you need to do some work with the exposure. I think the whole thing is underexposed a bit, and once brought up, you'll probably still want to lift the shadows a bit.

I also think you need to be careful with how much you sharpen images -- this is a bit overdone, imo, and I thought the same thing about your flower picture in the other forum.

Are you shooting RAW and using any post processing?

I think the composition is okay, but it looks like you need to do some work with the exposure. I think the whole thing is underexposed a bit, and once brought up, you'll probably still want to lift the shadows a bit.

I also think you need to be careful with how much you sharpen images -- this is a bit overdone, imo, and I thought the same thing about your flower picture in the other forum.

Are you shooting RAW and using any post processing?
I use JPEG, I'm not really sure with all my editing, so that's why I put it up here to see what people think . I'm not really sure was a raw file is

I think JonA is correct, that it is a little underexposed or maybe just too much contrast. (But the exposure and the shadows he mentioned may take care of that). I also think that the jpeg processing in the camera may have also added too much saturation for my tastes and it looks to me that it could use a little bit of white balance tweaking.

I think JonA is correct, that it is a little underexposed or maybe just too much contrast. (But the exposure and the shadows he mentioned may take care of that). I also think that the jpeg processing in the camera may have also added too much saturation for my tastes and it looks to me that it could use a little bit of white balance tweaking.
Okay, thank you for that. I really like the feedback on here cause it helps me correct alot of stuff that I don't get from photography class.

We've all been there at one time. Just keep learning and give shooting Raw a try and process the images from there.
Okay, so I just took some raw photos, but gimp can't open them.

GIMP won't open or process raw files. You need additional software. You can use the software that came with your camera. Since you're using GIMP which is open source you may also want to consider open source raw conversion software. Commonly used along with GIMP is UFRaw, Raw Therapee (best option), LightZone, or DarkTable (MAC or Linux).

Read this: http://photojoes.net/class_notes/chapter01.html

and then download one of those raw conversion programs.

Joe

We've all been there at one time. Just keep learning and give shooting Raw a try and process the images from there.

GIMP won't open or process raw files. You need additional software. You can use the software that came with your camera. Since you're using GIMP which is open source you may also want to consider open source raw conversion software. Commonly used along with GIMP is UFRaw, Raw Therapee (best option), LightZone, or DarkTable (MAC or Linux).

Joe
Okay, thabks!!

Joe

I quickly skimmed the first couple of chapters there -- great information. I'm going to go back and take a closer look later. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

I quickly skimmed the first couple of chapters there -- great information. I'm going to go back and take a closer look later. Thanks for sharing!

It reads a little odd because it was pulled from a set of class notes and sometimes you catch reference to a different lesson and then there's all the class references, but it seemed like what out OP needs right now.

Joe

Most reactions

Back