Most difficult conditions for photography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This morning I was in a speedboat photographing water skiing in blinding sunlight. Water was getting sprayed everywhere. The water was rough. The skiers never looked at the camera.

ski112.jpg

What was your worst conditions to try and get a few shots?

Last edited:
Low light and an unsteady platform, be it a car or too much caffeine and no tripod. I was fooling around on the ride home last night (my lovely wife was driving) and had to bump the ISO to "Hi 1" (3200) and shoot at 1.8 in order to maintain 1/125 in the moving car.

The worst? When I tried to shoot a deathcore concert in a hole-in-the-wall bar. I think I took 500 shots and trashed every single one. There were like 10 small colored lights on the stage and that was it. My D200 at the time couldn't handle it!

Shooting in -45 weather. It is physically challenging and can make you re-think why you're standing on the side of a mountain. It's also the job and learning to mentally overcome the challenges involved can be tough. I'd rather be standing on flat ground on a nice day, but that's not always where the pictures are.

Shooting in really low light as D-B-J mentioned sucks for different reasons, you can visually see that there are great pictures happening but camera limitations restrict you capturing them.

In most cases you just do what you can, prepare yourself for the conditions you're going into and hope for the best. If you can eliminate even one small concern it makes things a little easier.

I ended up with about 10 keepers but that was after I developed a form of superpower where I could predict the swell under the boat and calculate the future position of the skier relative to the boat and pre-focus on that area (minus 2 stops to not blow out all the highlights) and avoiding getting my camera wet from all the spray.

Cold always sucks but so does extreme heat. The camera can handle it but the photigrapher struggles.

But yeah I had to take video inside a paper mill recovery boiler. It was dark, cramped and insanely hot. I sweated like a pig but still got the job done.

Oh and I had the wear a full body harness, respirator, protective suit and all other sorts of ppe. Granted I inly spent 8 hrs doing it, the guys I was filming were working 3 weeks straight 12 hr shifts so I can't complain too much.

A wedding on the beach.
Rehearsal the day before was fine.
The day of...wind..lots of wind. It was very hard to get any good pics.

Peace

yeah, the worst for me has been very cold conditions. Last winter was rough, many nights and mornings out in the freezing cold for a shot. -10 and your eyelashes are freezing together sucks pretty bad

Most reactions

Back