Most useful lens type?

Wondercapture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've long been interested in photography, but don't really know how to advance in it any. I have a zoom lens and a standard 50mm lens. What type of lens should I go for next? What kind will be the most useful for general purposes-photographing landscapes, buildings, etc? I have a Minolta X-700.

It all depends on the type of photo you want to take. The most useful lens will be the one that gets the job done for you. The one that gives you the field of view to capture what you want in a scene, has an aperture to allow you to capture the dof you desire, and is sharp enough to capture the details you want to capture.

That being said, wide angle lenses are very popular for landscape and architecture, and is what is lacking from your current setup.

I've long been interested in photography, but don't really know how to advance in it any
While a new lens...or new equipment can be fun...and good for a purpose if you have one...it won't necessarily improve your photography.

My suggestion would be to get some good books, take some classes, join a photo club etc. That will help to improve your photography more than new equipment will.

I have a zoom lens and a standard 50mm lens.

what kind of zoom is that? I have several zooms and they are all different ;)

As I guess you do not have any wide angle, that is probalby what is missing.
for architectural details, sometimes a tele lens can be handy too

For general purpose I like my 24-105mm. It is wide enough to get decent landscapes when my 17-40mm isn't handy and works good for just a walk around lens.

While a new lens...or new equipment can be fun...and good for a purpose if you have one...it won't necessarily improve your photography.

My suggestion would be to get some good books, take some classes, join a photo club etc. That will help to improve your photography more than new equipment will.

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^

Although I can't say much as I've been known to purchase various things just for the enjoyment. If you still want a new lens, a good general use zoom that starts between 20-35mm and ends in the 100-150mm range. My first zoom was a Tamron 35-105mm f2.8 zoom... fast, hefty (not heavy), fast aperture, good focal range. I still have it and it still finds use today. Don't go over board with a lens that has huge 20-200mm (or similar) focal range as they sacrifice quality to obtain it.

Most reactions

Back