Moth attack!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So fired up my moth trap last night; rather end of the season and it was in a shaded spot so not a huge haul but got a few that I was pleased with. Still got to work on proper identification, but here's a few that appeared.

The white lid of the trap also makes an ideal little stand to work from. As always any comments/critiques are most welcome.
All taken on a Canon 7D with Sigma 70mm macro at 1/250sec, f13, ISO 100

36003292584_6f4f95ec40_b.jpg

36028265913_1b045c125b_b.jpg

Pearl Moth Pleuroptya ruralis
36028264603_0a4c31e1b4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using white acrylic in the last two. I want to do something similar and was debating between acrylic and foam board.

Yep, its just the top off the moth trap, but it makes for a nice moth sized table to put the moths on in the field. It actually worked a lot better than I thought it would. Foam I'd say might be a risk if only because it tends to have more apparent texture to it.

Yeah its a very impressive moth; one that I'd like to try again with more variation in how I lit it - its the kind of subject where I think if you land just the right lighting will really look very different!

Love the pearly guy and the shot of the moth in your second post. I like them well enough, in fact, that I will forgive you for the picture of the nasty ole stink bug that came right after that lovely moth portrait.

I like that his underbite makes him look like a bulldog. In moth form.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back