Moth on a windshield

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Redfox40, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Redfox40

Redfox40 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    First time posting. Would appreciate any construstive comments. Also please let me know if I am using the wrong format for posting.

Just found out that this is a Painted Lady Butterfly. Not a moth. Thank you all for the help.
    [​IMG] />

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Redfox40

Redfox40 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Forgot to tell I took this picture using a Kodak Easy Share 712IS. I used the flower closeup setting. I think the angle of the sun helped a lot.

3. EricD

EricD TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very Nice capture. You did well with the glare on the wndshield. Nice capture!

4. JackSellers16

JackSellers16 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great picture!
    Id be real chuffed if i captured this.

5. Shockey

Shockey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is pretty cool with the abstract pattern on the windshield.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Can't see anything wrong with the format of the shot - well posted - and good shot as well :)
    The lighting is very soft and smooth, with no highlight problems really glaring out from the glass (something that is often a major problem with such a shot). There are a few strong points, (in the whiter areas) but, for me at least, they don't overly detract from the effect of the image itself. You are very right that the angle of the sun (what was it out of interest) has helped you a lot with this shot - remember often the difference between a good shot and a poorer shot is not the subject nor the framing but the lighting itself.

The moth (is it a moth I always thought they were butterflies but I might be totally wrong) has come out very well, with a great reflection as well. I would have prefered that the left side of the frame be a little less though and that there was more frame to the right of the insect - following the direction that the insect is facing (something that is very key in animal images in general). Otherwise you get what you have in this shot, the space to the left of the insect has little to really draw the eye of the viewer and they are focused more toward the insect itself, its reflection and then to follow the direction of its gaze. With this shot as it stands you could easily crop away some of the left side (and I would also cut a little from the bottom and maybe the top just to keep the shot as a landscape aspect rather than end up with a portrait aspect)

There is also a good diagonal line going through the shot as a result of the window surface and it would have been nice to have caught this with that main dark line coming from a corner or leading to a corner, but that is mostly me being picky.

Overall a good shot - focus has worled well and appears to have caught the insect from head to tip in focus as well as a good proportion of the reflcetion and the wing body.
    As for posting advice have a look at the first link in my signature for some guidlines on how to present an image with the aim of getting feedback.