Mother and Daughter

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by dizzyg44, Jan 2, 2009.

1. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This wasn't intended to be anything kind of shoot but rather I was just using my wife and daughter to test some stuff.

The goal was to learn exposure first and foremost. I have decided to ban the use of any mode other than manual. I understand the basic theory of exposure but need to learn the practice of it if that makes sense.

The focus is a bit soft on these and the light is natural light coming in through a thin window curtain. Other than that I would love to get honest feedback and tips to improve.

[​IMG]
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 50.0mm
    Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
    Aperture: f/1.8
    ISO Equiv.: 200
    Light Source: Fine weather
    Metering Mode: center weight
    Exposure: Manual

[​IMG]
    Same as above except ISO 400

2. amkphotography

amkphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just learned some about lighting in my Digital Photography II class. And even had an assignment of window lighting. One thing I found that works wonders is a reflector. And I think what you could do here is position them so the lighting from the window is coming at them at an angle, maybe about 45 degrees, and try setting the shutter low and bumping up your ISO to 800 or more... and then just experiment. But I also learned that you never should rely on the screen but on the histogram to tell if you have a good exposure.

Sorry if this is not much help.

3. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks AMK, I'll give that a shot.

If anyone else has any tips I would appreciate it. I kind of figured some people would hesitate because it's my wife and daughter but if I didn't want it I wouldn't ask.

/G