Mother of the Groom is asked to shoot the Bride

DeCall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure of the best place to post this, so I hope it's okay to post it here. My son is getting married in a couple of weeks and his fiance, Emily, asked me to photograph her, her bridesmaids and the flowers girls before the wedding. They are getting married outside and so the girls are getting ready at Emily's home. They have a photographer but she will be with the guys at the wedding location. She wants the moms with her and the girls, and thought that I could get pictures in the process. I will be using a Nikon D100 and I have a 50 mm 1/8 lens and also a 18-200 VR lens. The only lighting I'll have is a large East window and my SB800. She is not expecting professional results, but I'm wanting to do the best I can. Any hints, tips or recommendations? There is one bridesmaid, the maid of honor and five flower girls. TIA!

De

Read the title and had all sorts of visual images ...

if you use the flash.use it in manual mode, TTL on the D100 is impossible, I tried using it as a second body at a wedding once and it was litterally impossible to use the flash in anything but manual. I eventually just stopped using it in general because it's so slow anyway.

Read the title and had all sorts of visual images ...
same. Isn't is the other way around though? Mother of the bride is asked to shoot the groom? :p

if you use the flash.use it in manual mode, TTL on the D100 is impossible, I tried using it as a second body at a wedding once and it was litterally impossible to use the flash in anything but manual. I eventually just stopped using it in general because it's so slow anyway.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Do you think I'd be better off to not use it at all, as opposed to using it as a bounce light?

De

My DH is letting me get an early birthday present.....a D300! :heart:

Is there going to be much of a learning curve going from a D100 to a D300?

I'm sorry, I know this is a photo section, but I had to add this to my information request on taking the bride's pictures. :hail:

De

Pre-determine posing and positions before hand. Favor the 1.8 over the zoom and use aperature priority mode at F 2.2 or F 2.0. Bring a laptop so you can review the photos right away and make adjustments. My 2 cents.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Do you think I'd be better off to not use it at all, as opposed to using it as a bounce light?
If you're comfortable with the SB800, you should do well. I rarely use it in TTL. Does the D100 have a Commander mode to trigger the flash off camera? If not, bounce the light please.

Is there going to be much of a learning curve going from a D100 to a D300?
Congrats!! I went from a D80 to the D300. It (D300) is much more intuitive, but figure on a learning curve anyway. You will love it. I would also suggest this to flatten that curve just a bit. Worth the price of admission IMO.

Pre-determine posing and positions before hand. Favor the 1.8 over the zoom and use aperature priority mode at F 2.2 or F 2.0. Bring a laptop so you can review the photos right away and make adjustments. My 2 cents.

Excellent advise and just what I was looking for. Thanks so much! This will be very useful and I plan on doing a practice run.

De

If you're comfortable with the SB800, you should do well. I rarely use it in TTL. Does the D100 have a Commander mode to trigger the flash off camera? If not, bounce the light please.

Congrats!! I went from a D80 to the D300. It (D300) is much more intuitive, but figure on a learning curve anyway. You will love it. I would also suggest this to flatten that curve just a bit. Worth the price of admission IMO.

Thanks for the info! I'm comfortable with using the SB800 as a bounce light, so I might go with that. I will check out the link and appreciate the feedback on it. It looks like I have lots of reading to do. :)

What about pulling the girls outdoors for some natural light shots? (Weather and time of day permitting, of course). If stuck indoors, I would definitly use your flash as bounce light, as you said. Best of luck!

Most reactions

Back