Motion Blur Shots

dizzymizzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am interested in doing shots with long shutters (running water, stars, car brakes, etc). What film ISO do you recommend. I've used 400, but should I use 100 or 200 instead since it'll have more time for exposure anyway? Would this greatly improve the image quality?

Film? ISO speed, in the context from 100-400 won't make much of a difference in image quality, not as much as using a different film.

400 is not terribly grainy in most film. But, yes, you should use 100 ISO or lower if you can get ahold-a-it for longer shutter speeds. ND filters are also an option, so is stopping down.

To prolong exposure times, neutral density filters would be best as they will uniformly decrease the total intensity of the light reaching the film allowing longer exposures. You might even try panning with middle speeds now (1/15-1/60). Follow the subject and expose as you are moving the end of the lens with the subject. Also try zooming during exposure. With a subject moving toward you, ie. a bicyclist, zoom on them and expose in mid zoom. Got some cool stuff doing that. Have fun.

Thanks. I will try your suggestions.

By the bye, would a manual exposure compensations achieve the same effect as a ND filter?

You will need to use manual exposure controls to achieve the results you want and a tripod as well. Use the lowest iso setting your camera will allow.

You will need to use manual exposure controls to achieve the results you want and a tripod as well. Use the lowest iso setting your camera will allow.
If he's shooting film, would he want to use the lowest ISO film he can find?

The iso level is not critical since these would be tripod shots and the exposure can be adjusted with the aperture and shutter speed settings. The benefit of using the lower iso setting or film would be lower noise, which is more apparent in low light situations.

Most reactions

Back