Motion Photography

Face

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
diasporarock.cjb.net
My photo class is doing motion photography. We have to do some panning and some with a still background and an object moving. Every one does bikes and cars aren't allowed. What ideas can you give me to make my pictures good/unique.

There is always your trusty pet, your cat or dog is usually a good unwilling participant. Or you could go to your next schools sports function, i.e. a quaterback throwing a pass, a person running by etc.

got a roller skating rink near your home? a busy sidewalk? a mall, maybe? even a playground. you could get a photo of someone on a swing, or a merry-go-round. like havoc said, pets are good for this as well. are you just barred from doing cars and bikes or do they want you to shy away from all vehicle type things (i.e. trains/subways as well)?

i had an assignment just like this a couple of years ago. it's easier than you think. if you bog yourself down trying to think of something ultra-unique, you'll miss out on perfectly good subjects that are probably just as good to use. lots of things move all around us all day everywhere we go. rapidly even. keep your eyes peeled, and good luck. :)

don't want to come off as being rude, but the entire world is moving around you. folks are being very kind by offering suggestions. my feeling is that being able to think of them then finding those key moments, then eventually being able to intuitively gravitate toward them, encompasses most of the art.

Motcon does have a point, however we can only give suggestions, and thats all, we are not doing the work for him, showing people the possibilities doesn't always mean they are going to only think about what is given to them. I often ask for suggestions, (sometimes i get Motcons response) however i most always end up doing something uniquely different to the suggestions given. Suggestions (for me at least) help me get my own creative mind working whenever i am having trouble starting.

I am now curious to see what Face chooses as a subject for his homework, hopefully he will choose something different or a variation of a theme presented to him. If not, then i would like to think he just couldn't think of anything else that was interesting enough for him to create. Either way i am happy to help point someone in the right direction

yeah i'm looking for things to start the wheels in my head turning. i'd love to do subways, etc., except we don't have any. maybe people on the street. i hate doing strangers though. oh well.

Why dont you try to think simple. Like motcon said everything is moving. You could try and photograph somthing as simple as a pinwheel or try some star trails :) .

Try anything you think could work.
Most importaint is for you to like what you photographed and have fun!
Dont limit yourself to film either it may take awile to acheive the photograph you want

Happy shooting :D

Face said:
yeah i'm looking for things to start the wheels in my head turning. i'd love to do subways, etc.,

be very careful here; i know some folks that were detained by the fbi for photographing subways. sucks, i know....

ok. one of my favorites.

get in a place so that your eyes are about 10 feet off of the ground. shoot people's feet on the sidewalk. do both wide angle and tight shots. they are quite fun...so i broke my own rule.

everthing is moving, though. just sit and think....don't stress it. zen it.

The poor photo instructors have seen it all. My teacher also said no cars, no babies, no pets, etc.... There are some many obvious examples of photo techniques, and so many students handing in so many photos of them. After a while the instructors get pretty bored. If you can come up with something that your teacher has never seen before, I bet it's a guaranteed "A".

i know sometimes i ask for suggestions and do something completly different then i thought and others suggested, .. could be having a block that day

im sure the teachers have seen it all ... but for real .. u can take 5 people shooting the "subway" and come up with 5 different photos...

its a good thing they dont arrest people here for shooting the subways, i'd be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole ... my hubby would be under the jail :lol:

a little off topic but if you have an idea for how to grab a shot of a BMX biker doing a 720º in mid air, please tell me.

Slow shutter blur is too messy,
fast shutter, it's visually appealing but doesn't capture the spinning motion so it looks like the bike is just doing normal jump and not a 720.

urameatball said:
a little off topic but if you have an idea for how to grab a shot of a BMX biker doing a 720º in mid air, please tell me.

Slow shutter blur is too messy,
fast shutter, it's visually appealing but doesn't capture the spinning motion so it looks like the bike is just doing normal jump and not a 720.

Use slow shutter speed with a flash. Have your blur and your sharpness too. Most flashes fire when you push the shutter release button. Combined with a slow shutter speed this will capture a fairly sharp image of the bike and rider, with the slow shutter capturing the blur as the move continues.

Some flashes allow you to set whether the flash fires at the beginning or end of the shutter opening.

Use a strobe with a slow shutter to get multiple sharp captures with blur between. This will probably take a bit of experimentation, but it sounds fun to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back