motion shots

sh0rtofdaybr3ak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im taking pictures for a band this weekend and i want to try to get a few motion shots of them rocking out, what are some tips for getting good results with this. I have a nikon n75 with a 28-90 and a 1.8/50mm and 6600 flash.... any suggestions would be greatly helpful and appreciated! thanks guys.

To get the sense of motion in your pictures you could try and sync the flash at a slower shutter speed to get some blur and have the flash "freeze" some of the action on stage.

If you use a tripod or something to keep the camera very still, anything still will be sharp and anything moving will be blurry.

sh0rtofdaybr3ak said:
should i be using a lower ISO?

When shooting rock concerts and gigs, there is always lots of smoke and nice lights cutting through the smoke. Flash will give you a cold static image which IMHO won't capture the moment (assuming you can see through the fog). For a better capture of the moment, up the ISO and forget the flash.

If there isn't room to use a tri/mono pod (which there won't be if there's anyone there!) then go for Kodak T-Max 3200 ISO film which will be great. It will be very grainy, so if you don't want grain, you're going to need to use flash and a lower ISO.

Good luck!

Rob

Howdy everyone, I'm new here.

I also will be taking pictures of a band this weekend. In my past experience, using my Canon Digital Rebel, I needed to push up the ISO, unfortunately this makes the photo's quite grainy but at a larger digital quality it is easy to remedy that... I know that doesn't help with film. Using a flash rarely captures the good concert vibe that lights and smoke provide (as mentioned before)... and by that I mean the ones I have taken are less flattering and look rather creepy. Though I have done both, I would suggest trying to avoid a flash... but then again I just find them annoying.

Good luck with the pictures!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back