Motocross

MAMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.livistats.co.uk
Just because I like it :D

My own view on my picture below is that the DOF could have been better in this and that the Marshalls in the picture "spoil" it, but I'd love to know what others think?

gallery_1_30_47977.jpg

It's a live action shot so you can't be too hard on yourself. You just have to try and get your exposure spot on and your composition as good as you can. I think you've done a great job myself.

ferny said:
It's a live action shot so you can't be too hard on yourself. You just have to try and get your exposure spot on and your composition as good as you can. I think you've done a great job myself.

i agree. if the marshalls bother you, edit them out.

I like the shot, I think the composition is really good (especially with a moving target like that) and the subject stands out well against the background. I agree a bit on the marshall...but you take what you can get in sports shots. The only thing I may suggest is working with the exposure a little more. Maybe a bit more contrast a just a little darker and I think this shot would stand out a bit more. I would also suggest trying to crop out the very top of the photo where the sky turns to white.

Great shot though!

Thanks for the comments thus far.

The shot is just as it came from the camera - simply resized to a more manageble size for showing on websites like this.

I agree about the exposure being a little "underexposed" and found that a lot of the pictures I took that day ended up that way.

The Marshalls don't really bother me, I just think it would have been nicer with them a bit more "blurry" etc.

I think that's a very good sport shot! you should trying selling it to some stock agencies because it is very good for me. The rider is sharp while the tires are blurred because of motion. Also the sportsmen is well composed into the shot. What's more I like the dof here... the background is a bit blurred and it's not distracting. Well done!!

This is a wonderful shot, IMHO. I like the bright subject against the muted background, the spinning tires, stopped action. As for the marshalls, I don't find them objectionable or distracting. For me they add to the context of the shot & help me understand it. However, I agree with Chase on cropping the sky where it goes white.

Nice job!

I like it as is.

If you wanted more blured backgroung (and marshals), you could increase shutter speed by 2 stops, widening the aperture by 2 stops, but in that case:

1.Tires would be still, and I think it's better way like here - blured by motion;
2.When the aperture is too wide open, it's very tricky to shot good action shots, because you just don't have enough time to focus; you would risk driver to be blured, too!

Once again thats for the comments, it's good to see other appreciate what you do.

Because i'm not really into Landscapes, portraits and arty stuff etc it's difficult to get somewhere to get critiques on action / sport type shots so i really do appreciate all the comments.

KizaHood said:
I like it as is.

If you wanted more blured backgroung (and marshals), you could increase shutter speed by 2 stops, widening the aperture by 2 stops, but in that case:

1.Tires would be still, and I think it's better way like here - blured by motion;
2.When the aperture is too wide open, it's very tricky to shot good action shots, because you just don't have enough time to focus; you would risk driver to be blured, too!

Very true

The original was shot at 1/400s f4.0 at ISO200 and approx 120mm (35mm Equivelant)

Lower angle would give a clearer separation of the rider from the ground. He looks like he's doing a wheelie when he's jumping.

chroix said:
Lower angle would give a clearer separation of the rider from the ground. He looks like he's doing a wheelie when he's jumping.

YEah I took it standing so could have ducked down a bit. The bit where the photo taken was a long ramp onto a straight so not really a jump although the ramp was quite steep so they had to power up it, got a few of them doing wheelies but this was the biggest one.

Most reactions

Back