Motorcycle Photos *Please Critique*

ASCSurveyor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I was kind of "hired" to do a photoshoot of a couple of friends' bikes. My friend John's bike (black), is a 2005 SV 1000, heavilly modified. My other friend Nate's bike (white) is a 2005 Z1000, again with the modification. John's wife also brought along their 7mo old Akita.

I refused any kind of payment, since I take stuff like this as experience and they wanted some "good" photos of their bikes. But they bought me lunch afterwords, and I wasn't going to argue.

Anyway, feel free to critique them. Any suggestions are welcome. Alot of the shots are from the same angle, but I like simple, and didn't want to get too "crazy" if I can't even get the basics down.

Camera is a Canon XTi. Lenses are Canon EFS18-55 and EFIII 75-300. Nothing fancy... that's all I can afford. :wink:

1.)
Luitas06sm.jpg

2.)
LuitasNudist05sm.jpg

3.)
LuitasNudist07sm.jpg

4.)
LuitasNudist08sm.jpg

5.)
Nudist04sm.jpg

6.)
Akita02sm.jpg

7.)
Akita08sm.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind is that there is little to no detail on the sides, specifically the engine area. You can accomplish this by getting extra light on the shadow area by repsoitioning the motorcycles relative to the natural light, fill light from an off camera flash or a large fill card such as a large white or other reflective board. That is important for these kinds of photos. The location is fine, not too fond of the head on photos.

The first thing that comes to mind is that there is little to no detail on the sides, specifically the engine area. You can accomplish this by getting extra light on the shadow area by repsoitioning the motorcycles relative to the natural light, fill light from an off camera flash or a large fill card such as a large white or other reflective board. That is important for these kinds of photos. The location is fine, not too fond of the head on photos.

I never think of using a flash durring the day. :grumpy: Again with the forgetting of basics.

These were taken around 12:30pm. Sun's right over head... so... bad light. I wanted to get up there early, but they're not early risers... 12pm seemed to be an issue... so I went by their schedule.

Ok, I'm done making excuses for my pics. ;)

Those are some really nice bikes, I love the mods they've done. But like BAB mentioned, no viewable detail of the engine. I like the first shot the best, but then I'm partial to SV's.

Likewise for me, what comes to mind is there is no detail in the shadows of the bikes. Nice work!

I think they are nice shots. My only suggestion is that I don't like the tree in the background of the 2 bikes together. Would have been nice IMO to only have the water in the background. The tree seems a little busy and distracting.

shooting at a better time of day would have been nicer. this looks like high noon and the sun is major bright. shooting when the sun is at a better angle would have given nicer shadows and the sky would have been a lot better. the photos also have a lot of blue in them..just look at the shadows and you can see what i'm talking about. the black and white photo has a nice background and i think that should be your best bet. hopefully that look is facing east and you could shoot that same photo again but when the sun is going down to give a nice cloud background and to light the bike nicely. make sure your own shadow isn't in the shot though, heh.

Ask and you shall receive.

IMG_4536.jpg

'05 650. 34,500miles... about.

Anyway, on to the important stuff. Same location, different time of day. Sun behind me... around 7:30pm. It does look better to me. Like I said, neither of the guys were real keen on getting up before 11am, and Nate had to ride back to Northern VA, so he wasn't up for anything too late.

I guess that's the bad part about working for someone. ;)

Theres like no creativity in any of the photos in my opinion....

Theres like no creativity in any of the photos in my opinion....

Yeah... sorry about that. I have better shots of my bike, but when I'm doing photo stuff in front of people I get nervous, and my creativity goes right out the window.

I didn't want to get too crazy, since the photos were for them and not for me. Don't want to hand them a bunch of weird angles, odd shots, and such when all they really wanted was a shot of their bike next to the river.

But I'm workin on the creativity thing. I've only been at this for a few months, so bear with me. ;)

And judging by some past posts... I'll take that comment with a grain of salt.

HAHAHA!!! NATES BIKE!!! I know Nate!! :lol: and the pics are great :)

Most reactions

Back