MOTW - JTHphoto

Antarctican said:
I was just trying to ask a weird and wonderful question...who knew you'd actually be using chopsticks today?? (Okay, I've got a webcam trained on you, to see why you're doing so well at trivia. Smile and wave!).

Okay, how 'bout this....a tornado/flood/fire is headed to your house and it will be destroyed within the hour. What do you rescue from it?

TPF Trivia Espionage... what is the world coming too!? like you need any help, you're already chipping away at my huge 1 point lead. ;) It's weird, but I seem to do better if I do it the night before. The quiz is on east coast time so if I do it at 10:00pm i'm the first person to take the quiz for the following day. The questions seem a little easier than if I wait until morning... prolly just a coincidence.

On rescuing stuff from my doomed house...
My Wife and Riley Dog are a given right? I don't really have a very interesting answer. Just the typical stuff, computers HDs, old negs/slides, photo albums, a painting that my great, great grandmother painted, our fire/lockbox with important documents, etc. If I still had time, maybe some items that were given to me as gifts over the years, but most things can be replaced. Lastly i would grab my camera and start taking pictures of my flying/drowning/burning house... :biggrin:

What's your favourite type of pic? (Landscape, macro, portrait, wildlife, abstract, b/w etc). I can probably tell from your usual posts (landscape), but you comment a lot on wildlife pics, so I thought I'd ask.

I came across this quote yesterday...
Ansel Adams said:
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment.
I am disappointed A LOT, but I love the challenge. Many times I am in field anyways, so taking pics just comes naturally, as I want to share what I see. Other times I use it as an excuse to be in the outdoors, and I have seen some amazing things that I probably wouldn't have experienced if not for photography.

While I love and respect all forms of photography, my passion is definitely Nature & primarily Landscapes. I love wildlife photography too, but my 75-300 f5,600,000 just doesn't cut it... that's a field where it's hard to even locate a subject out here sometimes. :)

Visiting TPF has really challenged me to branch out and try/improve other areas of my photography. I finally got a flash/diffuser/stroboframe that has greatly increased the quality of my people pics, but other than my nephews, portraiture just doesn't excite me like landscapes. I'd love to study more about how to take better PJ-style images for weddings/events, i think that would be a better fit for me. I have a fascination with nightime photography too. Other than that I love any photograph that captures dramatic light, or is edgy & different from the norm.

Whew, that was a long-winded answer when I could have just said, "Yup, Landscape." :lol:

JTHphoto said:
Whew, that was a long-winded answer when I could have just said, "Yup, Landscape." :lol:

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to give the fuller answer...it's a much more enjoyable read than "yup, landscape"! :mrgreen:

Antarctican said:
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to give the fuller answer...it's a much more enjoyable read than "yup, landscape"! :mrgreen:

I aim to please... :mrgreen:

and i'm soooooo bored, and it's too nice outside to be stuck at work. Long winded answers help the day go by faster. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself next week when I am no longer MOTW. :( I guess I'll actually have to find some work to do. :meh:

Has anyone asked yet what it is you do? (I'm too lazy to scroll back through all your answers)

Do you get Monday off (I think it's a holiday in the US, isn't it?)

Why did you choose that av? (Or stick with it, after the Peanuts theme week was over)

Antarctican said:
Has anyone asked yet what it is you do? (I'm too lazy to scroll back through all your answers)

Do you get Monday off (I think it's a holiday in the US, isn't it?)

Why did you choose that av? (Or stick with it, after the Peanuts theme week was over)

on job/career
nobody has asked...

my official title (which I was allowed to create myself :lol: ) is "Operations Manager". I used to be in the field taking photos and collecting data on cars which we would then upload to dealer sites, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc... but I had some back/neck issues so the owner/s moved me into a desk job. Now I help the owners run two other small startup businesses including a distributorship for prepaid products (debit cards, wireless, LD, etc) and our most recent venture is something called "virtual assistance" where we provide administrative support to other entreprenuers and small businesses from our own office/homes. Services include data entry, bulk mailings, bookkeeping, etc. Some days are busier than others.

On Monday...
I had to check my calendar, wasn't sure what you were referring to. Before I started working in the office, all holidays 'cept christmas and thanksgiving were "optional" or more like "highly encouraged". Now I get the major holidays off, but not the Columbus/Veterans/MLK/Presidents Day types, i think that's just Banks & Government agencies... should make the commute a little nicer though :)

On my Av...
100%, pure, unadulterated laziness. I think I am the only one that still has it up, 'cept for Peanuts, but hers is really cool and she'd probably have it anyway. It has been bothering me lately, it will get changed in the next few months i'm sure... :lol:

A parting shot, as your time for MOTW runs out...how did you manage to get the jeep flooded like in the pics above? Did you drive in, thinking you could cross, or was there a flash flood? Just wondering.

we were out on a jeep ride on a fairly rainy day, hence the water in the "dry" river bed. I pulled up to the edge of the stream/river which only appeared to be about a foot deep, but thought better of it and started to turn around.

There was another guy nearby and after talking to him for a minute or two he said that he had just come across it on his motorcycle and there was no problem. So, armed with his testimony I chose a straight line from where the road went down, to where the road came out on the other side. Everything was fine until I got a little over halfway across and the ground disappeared. :shock: :stun:

I started to turn out of the hole and climb out, but the current was just too strong and pulled the rear of the jeep into it, and it stalled out. when the guy towed me out I had to sit in the passenger seat to steer and the water was up to my waist.

It turns out the guy crossed on his dirtbike upstream of the road about 10-20 feet, where the water remained only about 6-12" deep. It's not his fault... i should have trusted my instincts. Live and learn.

Oh no! Yikes. And the reference to 'we' in the first line is interesting...someone was with you, who will never let you live this down???

Yes, my wife (gf at the time) is actually in the photo, hidden behind the passenger door. It was a mad rush to get all the photo gear and jackets out of the jeep before it flooded completely, she was grabbing the last of that stuff (while I took a picture :lol:).

Thanks, Anty, it's been a pretty good week... photographically speaking. :)

Most reactions

Back