mount I'd help

C Baker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I got this lens for $10. I have no idea what mount this is or how to make it work with my rebel xt. Any clues? I know that is a cheap lens but I figured it would be fun to play with. 14347646624981934134870.jpg 1434764751140-1979310543.jpg 1434764796709-1664065456.jpg

The fact that is says, "For Canon" right on it might be a huge clue.

It doesn't have the lugs like my other lenses do. I didn't know if there was an adapter or piece or something that I was missing.

Where do you see that Sparky?? your eyes must be better than mine! lol (nm Now I see it!)

Hard to tell from the pictures but you could try looking at KEH Buy and Sell New and Used Cameras - Canon Nikon Hasselblad Leica and more. . They sell used equipment and on their blog they had a lens mount guide. The site's been changed so I don't know offhand where it's linked on their site.

edit Maybe it's a different Canon mount than what you already have? an earlier mount? maybe FD instead of EF?

IT looks to me like it's one of the several inexpensive 500mm f/8 pre-set diaphragm long focus lenses that have been, and strill are sold with T-mounts for whatever brand lens the buyer want to slap on there...

There's a set-screw someplace on the back end where the T-mount is held locked on. I own one of these things...

It's difficult to tell, but it looks like the breech-lock mount used by some of the older Canon FD lenses. They later switched the FD lenses to a bayonet mount without needing to redesign the mounting flange.

This lens was sold in several brand names, and it's availabe from B&H right now . It's a 4-element 500mm fixed-aperture f:8 lens, made to use T-mount adapters. T-mount lenses had adapers at the camera end to fit many different bodies of the day, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc. Change the adapter and you could switch body brands easily. There are T-mount adapters for current AF camera bodies, as well, meaning a minimal expenditure of 15 to 20 bucks and you could mount this directly to your camera without an intermediate adapter.

f:8 meant that the split-image focus prism in the viewfinder was usually black, and on modern AF cameras, f:8 would be problematic as well. Not that there's any AF capability, which there's obviously not, but you may not be able to get an "in-focus" indication in the viewfinder on cameras that provide those.

This lens was sold in several brand names, and it's availabe from B&H right now . It's a 4-element 500mm fixed-aperture f:8 lens, made to use T-mount adapters. T-mount lenses had adapers at the camera end to fit many different bodies of the day, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc. Change the adapter and you could switch body brands easily. There are T-mount adapters for current AF camera bodies, as well, meaning a minimal expenditure of 15 to 20 bucks and you could mount this directly to your camera without an intermediate adapter.

f:8 meant that the split-image focus prism in the viewfinder was usually black, and on modern AF cameras, f:8 would be problematic as well. Not that there's any AF capability, which there's obviously not, but you may not be able to get an "in-focus" indication in the viewfinder on cameras that provide those.

Well there you go! You're in luck! Just pick up a EOS t-adapter (or t-ring). Today these are mostly used by astronomers to adapt cameras for astrophotography purposes. You can get them for almost any camera that allows removable lenses.

Do a Google search (or go to a shopping site like Amazon) and search for "EOS T-ring" and you should find lots of choices. The front side of the ring has standard t-threads. The back-side of the t-ring has the threads designed to mate with your specific camera model (in your case you'd need the Canon EOS version). The ring unscrews. Screw off the old ring, screw on the new ring... and you're in business (with caveats of using a low-end fixed focal-ratio manual-focus lens.)

Have fun! Post results!

So here is an update. Got the adapter installed tonight and got a chance to play with it a little bit. I got to say I am kinda impressed with this lens. I still am learning the fine art of manual lenses. Here is one of my favorites with a crop of the same. These have not been through post yet.( mainly because I HATE post processing!!!) These were shot on a rebel XT mounted on the pod.

IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0053.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back