Mountain biking shots

?

It's a 35 foot gap...

Not to brag but I did that on a bmx bike all the time.

anyways, if that is the case you need to work on your composition. It looks tiny.

Thanks guys!

I'll have a look at Tom's photos, Tex.

We've had nothing but wind and rain since June of last year, give or take the odd day, but we've been blessed with blue skies and that big ball of fire in the sky for the past couple of days. I was having too much fun riding yesterday but managed to get the camera out for about 20 mins and got about 5 keepers.

One is a bit soft and the one of me on the gap jump is struggling a bit composition wise, but we still had a blast. Need to go through the ones from today, but here's a couple for your viewing pleasure!

Cheers

Buter
I really like the last one, but I'd have to agree with the others on the first two. A solid meh.
By way of comparison, this is a 17 ft. gap with a 10 ft. stepdown - the drop you think is not very impressive is just over twice this distance and has no runout.
I think the problem is that we don't see the actual landing. Couple things I'd try is standing right beside or squatting below the ramp looking down at the landing. And also getting closer to the landing and looking back up. The problem with trying to show a side view that has both the jump and landing is that the rider becomes so small.

@ Runnah - It ain't bragging if it's the truth! I'm usually left with my jaw on the floor when I watch some of the talented, young BMX riders these days (Alex Coleborn is from this little rock), but this one ain't do-able on a BMX bike. You're 100% right about the composition not showcasing it, something I've been struggling with since day 1. Kinda makes you really respect the guys that can get out there and get that wicked shot in the bag in just a few takes.

@ DBA - I really wanted to avoid the 'guy in the sky' shot. Can't see the drop from the landing nor the landing from the drop, but I might try shooting from the ramp to at least show what you have to clear to make the landing. Shooting wide from the other side I could have got the whole section but I would have been shooting into the sun.

I'll get the hang of it someday! ;)

Cheers

Buter

Well, we lost the sun. Back to situation normal. Out yesterday in bitter conditions - Lotsa riding, not very much picture taking as the lighting was crap (see how I get the excuses in early!). Just thought I'd get an ass-shot from the ramp to try and show the size of the gap and the trouble I'm having composing an interesting shot here, but without being able to see the landing, you're still not quite sure what you're looking at. Ex-elite DH pro rider.

Got this one while the sun was still shining. Difficult to get the exposure right (for me) with bright light poking through dense woods and shooting up into the natural light. Still, I quite like this one!

Back to work for a couple of weeks so don't know when the toys will be coming out again!

Cheers

Buter

Most reactions

Back