Mouse/Keyboard set up

rachlynn17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.woodphotostudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm curious how you guys have your computer desk laid out. Do you use a mouse or stylus?
I am constantly having problems with my right hand hurting from computer editing. (mainly after a wedding )
What works for you?

I try to go back and forth between a mouse and stylus, but the mouse just drives me crazy, and it didn't seem to help my hand.

Proper ergonomics will help...but if you are getting repetitive stress injuries...then you should get it checked out and possibly have some rehab done.

I just started using a pen (wacom tablet) and do find it quite a bit different from a mouse. Of course, my full time job is 80% Autocad...so I'm using a mouse just about everyday....so I like the pen as a change.

I use a track ball (I have CTS...so the least amount I move my wrist...the better). Sometimes during editing my hand (thumb) will grow tired but only when I have been on the computer for several hours. I would like to upgrade to a Wacom.

What I have is a Wacom tablet/pen. I just always feel like my ring finger & pinky are being squished. After I work for a while they stay achy and sometimes tingly/numb. ( I do try to take a break every 30 minutes) I'll try moving the tablet around to different levels and areas of my desk. And I'll ask my doctor the next time I see her.

I'm sure there are countless numbers of ways to change up the way you hold/use the pen. Probably something that people have been dealing with for hundreds of years. Taking a break is a good idea. Maybe you can modify your pen to get a better grip. Something like a foam sleeve on the pen etc.

Have you seen those wonderful devices the computer graphics gurus use at Disney? They have special hydraulic arm holders which support the elbow, forearm and wrist, and just about float wherever you want them to go. Ahhhh, if we all had that kind of money.................

I have a little desk next to my chair which is at the proper level for my wrist. If using a mouse, just remember to keep your forearm, wrist and the top of your hand all on the same level, not bent.

I use a mouse....and i have a desk set up that is only suited to ME! I'm short and my husband cant sit at my desk, its far too awkward for him. My chair is short so my leg sit neatly at 90degrees, and i use a wrist pad and a very low profile mouse (fellowes 99926) and my elbow/arm/wrist/hand is all staying at the same height. I have no problems that way. When i switch to my laptop, i'm at a different desk and my elbow is not at the same height and the mouse is not as sleek/low profile...and i will get a bit of discomfort. so...i guess keep that elbow and hand low....you'll be better off.

I use a Logitech G5. Seriously, I'm only mentioning the specific mouse because it has on-the-fly adjustable DPI, which means that you can turn it way down to do sensitive areas in a photo, or way up to do anything that requires little to no precision, or if you're going to play games or something...

using my mouse at 400DPI in photoshop is a dream...but you can go even lower if you really wanted...

Stylus all the way! I have all my shortcuts built into the tablet and pen, so I never have to go to my keyboard. I'm using the Wacom Intuit 9x12. Now, I get all peeved if I have to type something because I use my stylist so much. I do not even have a mouse on my desk. :)

Most reactions

Back