Mousepads: Do we need to coexist with them?

I use a laser mouse (Logitech LX7 Cordless), and it doesn't work worth a hoot on my desk surface ( too shiny). I have to put it on a book cover.

Are you guys calling the old mouse with the ball in it an optical mouse? That isn't an optical mouse. The ball rides on wheels within the mouse housing.

Optical and lazer I think of as the same thing.

I haven't used a mousepad in years, whether my current optical or my old one with the ball. Whether you use a mousepad or not with the ball mouse, you still have to remove the ball every now and then to scrape the crud off the rollers.

Can you even buy a non-optical mouse these days? Even the cheap IT department at work, where they still insist on us working with pentium 2's and pentium 3's give us optical mouse.

Are you guys calling the old mouse with the ball in it an optical mouse? That isn't an optical mouse. The ball rides on wheels within the mouse housing.

No, I call that a rolly ball mouse....

(And yes the one in the pic I posted is a rolly ball because my optical bit the shead)

must say I hate most mouse mats (or pads as you lot seem to be calling them) since they are hard and cold with sharp edges to that hard surface. I much prefer my old EB (now call Game stores) one which is all soft :)
though since using a laser mouse I have not to the mat out of the box yet - just no pressing need to use it since the laser tracks well enough on the desk

Not used a pad in years with my optical mouse. Works fine on dirty, shiny and none-flat surfaces without issue. I even used in on my thigh sometimes and it tracks fine.

I have a couple MX Revolution laser mice, and as good as they are, I always always pair them with a high end mousepad. Yes, I know, it sounds crazy!

Here's what I use at work and in the living room:
sUrface1030
func-large.jpg

Double sided, hard surface for smoothness and speed

Here's what I use on my main PC:
Steel Series I-1
steelseries_experience1.jpg

It's glass, and silky smooth, incredibly accurate.

^show off :lol: mouse mat fetish.

I remember when i had an optical mouse for my old Atari, had to have a special mouse mat with a sort of grid like print to it :lol: .. ah the days.

speaking of unusual mice.. I found this while trying to find the old atari one:

Super Useful Mouse

why? they will pair anything with anything these days.

Last edited:
^show off :lol: mouse mat fetish.

I remember when i had an optical mouse for my old Atari, had to have a special mouse mat with a sort of grid like print to it :lol: .. ah the days.

speaking of unusual mice.. I found this while trying to find the old atari one:

Super Useful Mouse

why? they will pair anything with anything these days.

Use a good mousepad for a while...it's hard to go back.

Oh, and I see your scale mouse, and raise you...
11-26-08-tday-cg.jpg

For many years I thought a mouse pad can't make a huge difference, but once I got my steelpad... everything changed. It's really great if you need high precision. People often think they have to spend lots of money in order to get a mouse that suits their needs, either for graphic work or pro gaming. I think a much better way is to get a $5 mouse and a pro mousepad, not one of these hard ones with a lame photo on it, but a nice, multi-layered one. There really is a difference in the way your mouse will slide. And you'll save a few bucks.

I have a nice large slick gaming pad. It is solid and dishwasher safe.

For many years I thought a mouse pad can't make a huge difference, but once I got my steelpad... everything changed. It's really great if you need high precision. People often think they have to spend lots of money in order to get a mouse that suits their needs, either for graphic work or pro gaming. I think a much better way is to get a $5 mouse and a pro mousepad, not one of these hard ones with a lame photo on it, but a nice, multi-layered one. There really is a difference in the way your mouse will slide. And you'll save a few bucks.

QFE. I like having a nice mouse too (Button mania and smooth scroll wheel), but as far as mouse movement and accuracy, a mousepad can make a world of difference.

I find that mouse pads can cause problems with optical & laser mice. We have people at work that like to complain about their mouse pointer jumping randomly across the screen. Those are the people that have the mouse pads that are covered in graphics and have tons of contrast between areas and that's what causes them to jump.

I've never had a computer, hence my need to use a mouse is somewhat diminished.

I hand write most of these posts.

Most reactions

Back