Moved Business

tcipolla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I am looking for a bit of knowledge from anyone who has experienced moving your photo business. I keep the books for my wife's photography business. She's been licensed in Illinois for nearly 5 years. About a month ago we moved to North Carolina. As of now, she has no business booked in NC, but has a number of weddings throughout the remainder of the year back in Illinois. At the moment, she isn't really planning on taking on any more weddings for next year in Illinois or North Carolina, kind of looking to take a break from the biz for a bit, but that's another story. Anyways, my main question is what to do about registering in NC since she isn't actually conducting any business there and at the moment has no intention of doing so. I'm mainly concerned about whether or not we'd have to pay NC state taxes and sales tax on the income even though it's earned in Illinois.

Sorry for the long post. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation. Thanks for reading!

Tim

This is a NC tax question not one we could answer.
In MD, where I live, and probably in NC, one pays taxes on income the state in which it is earned.

^What Lew said.

I can't imagine she'd need a NC license based on the information you've proffered here, that she only has work right now in IL and doesn't intend, at least for the foreseeable future, to GET any work in NC. As long as her IL license remains valid until she's finished the shoots there, I'd think you'd be fine.

But then, I am not a tax expert or attorney, I've never played one on TV and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so you'd be better off asking this question to a NC tax expert. Because THEN you'll never have to try to explain to the IRS, "but all those random people on an internet forum promised me it was okay!"

The state of NC has people waiting by the telephone to answer your questions.

I recommend that you go ahead and set up her business in NC right away, even if she has no immediate plans to make new appointments there.

Most reactions

Back