Moving (and upgrading) from DSLR to mirrorless

FrenchPapa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been taking photos for 3 years now and I would like to upgrade my camera. I have a Rebel t3i and it feels a little small now... and I want to move to mirrorless.

I shoot some street photography, family portraits and events and some product photography.

I am interested in buying a Sony A6000 or Sony A7 (or a better suggestion).

my questions are:

- would moving from the t3i to the A6000 actually be a real improvement?

- Should i move to the Sony A7 directly instead? is it worth the $1,200?

I have been taking photos for 3 years now and I would like to upgrade my camera. I have a Rebel t3i and it feels a little small now... and I want to move to mirrorless.

I shoot some street photography, family portraits and events and some product photography.

I am interested in buying a Sony A6000 or Sony A7 (or a better suggestion).

my questions are:

- would moving from the t3i to the A6000 actually be a real improvement?

- Should i move to the Sony A7 directly instead? is it worth the $1,200?

maybe, depends on your definition of "worth it"

I now use the Canon M mirrorless for events and lightweight street "walking around" - only $250

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Take a look at Fuji X.

Joe

I guess what I am saying is: I want to move to mirrorless and upgrade at the same time.
A t3i is pretty entry level for DSLRs and I don't want to move to an entry level mirrorless... so would the a6000 (or similar in other brands like Fuji) be a bump in quality or is that an entry level mirrorless?

Also, is it worth it for me to really splurge and get an a7?

Well it depends on what you consider moving up. I'm not terribly impresses with the Sony lineup of FE lenses at this point. For the most part their better glass is slow, F4 or slower and to my way of thinking overpriced unless you want their consumer grade glass. The options tend to be limited.

Well it depends on what you consider moving up. I'm not terribly impresses with the Sony lineup of FE lenses at this point. For the most part their better glass is slow, F4 or slower and to my way of thinking overpriced unless you want their consumer grade glass. The options tend to be limited.

So, in your opinion, with a budget of around $1000 should I invest in a canon 70D instead of a mirrorless like an A6000?

I am at a point where I want to buy more glass but seriously considering jumping ship to mirrorless before I get too deep in glass that I cannot change system without losing a lot of money.

Have you looked at Olympus? They have the OM-D E-M1 and the new E-M5 II. I would take a look at those. They're definitely pro-consumer grade bodies with an excellent lens lineup.

So, in your opinion, with a budget of around $1000 should I invest in a canon 70D instead of a mirrorless like an A6000?

I am at a point where I want to buy more glass but seriously considering jumping ship to mirrorless before I get too deep in glass that I cannot change system without losing a lot of money.
I'm not suggesting either direction. I am only pointing out what to me is a draw back to the Sony system. Your needs will dictate what you go with. For me mirrorless will not cut it. At least not at this point. Your needs are different.

I would suggest however with a $1000 budget you are looking at nothing but Sony's low end consumer glass or third part manual focus only glass. You may want to consider other systems.

Depending on the glass you have now you may want to consider this: Canon Unveils the M3 A 24.2MP Mirrorless That Feels More Like a DSLR in a Compact s Body

While it is a crop sensor I would be very surprised if Canon does not introduce a larger sensor mirrorless sometime in the near future.

Have you looked at Olympus? They have the OM-D E-M1 and the new E-M5 II. I would take a look at those. They're definitely pro-consumer grade bodies with an excellent lens lineup.

The E-M5 II seems like a great camera... a bit expensive though it seems compared to the a6000 for what seems very similar cameras.
but the lens line-up is way better.

Sony a6000 vs Olympus E-M5 Detailed Comparison
Sony A6000 vs Olympus E-M5 II

So, if the Olympus lens lineup is "way better" why would you go with a Sony? Camera bodies come and go... Just saying, look forward in your photography future. you're going to want to upgrade that a6000 someday for the same reason you're tired of your T3i. You might want a quality lens system to go with it.
You can find some used Olympus or Panasonic bodies to save some money.
Not trying to push you towards Olympus, but I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I did extensive research on several brands and asked myself what I needed my camera for. Olympus has a lot going for it.

Last edited:

The E-M5 II seems like a great camera... a bit expensive though it seems compared to the a6000 for what seems very similar cameras.
but the lens line-up is way better.

Sony a6000 vs Olympus E-M5 Detailed Comparison
Sony A6000 vs Olympus E-M5 II

So, if the Olympus lens lineup is "way better" why would you go with a Sony? Camera bodies come and go... Just saying, look forward in your photography future. you're going to want to upgrade that a6000 someday for the same reason you're tired of your T3i. You might want a quality lens system to go with it.
You can find some used Olympus or Panasonic bodies to save some money.
Not trying to push you towards Olympus, but I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I did extensive research on several brands and asked myself what I needed my camera for. Olympus has a lot going for it.

Very good point.

Take a look at Fuji X.

Joe

Thanks Joe... I was thinking about Fuji Xs as well. What's the big selling point on Fujis?

Way back in the day we used to have a saying; "Lenses take photos, cameras hold film." In other words if you're shopping to equip yourself to take photos then get your priorities in order and shop for the lenses you need/want and then select a film holder to use with them.

It's a little more complicated with today's digital cameras but there's still a lot of truth to that. Over the course of their corporate life-span Sony has been an electronics manufacturer. Fuji has been a lens maker. Look at the Fuji XF lens line up -- Sony does not compete. And Fuji makes some pretty good "sensor holders" to go with the lenses.

Joe

For what it's worth ... I shoot with Fuji X cameras. I have complete FF systems, complete MFT systems but my choice is the APS-C Fuji cameras. I find Fuji is a great compromise between FF IQ and MFT size. Fuji lenses are exceptional. At a minimum, Fujinon glass is equal to my 'L' lenses. Fuji X camera system are still lacking when compared to Nikon. Canon and MFT, especially in the long and fast department. But, between 10mm and 300mm you're basically cover with zooms and primes and more seem to roll-out every month. If you want small size, exceptional lenses, great IQ and make a statement with your equipment ... you gotta take a hard look at Fuji. (Did I mention sexy looking cameras ...)

Gary
One of the X-Men

A few from a HS talent show I shot recently:

_GA14259.jpg

FUJIFILM X-T1, ISO 1600, Fujinon 50-140 @ 102.2mm, f/3.2, 1/500

_GA13711-X3.jpg

FUJIFILM X-T1, ISO 1600, Fujinon 50-140 @ 140mm, f/2.8, 1/500

_DSF3942.jpg

FUJIFILM X-T1, ISO 1600, Fujinon 10-24 @ 14.5mm, f/4, 1/200

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics