Moving flash off camera, what do I NEED?

Another issue is compatibility...which may be an interference issue, I'm not sure.

I do know that my cheap radio trigger doesn't work with my Canon 430EX flash very well...but it works perfectly with my studio lights. Although, there is a slight delay so I have trouble when using my camera's max sync speed of 1/250. I'm lead to believe that Pocket Wizards are faster and would shoot at 1/250 without issue.

True, but $30 vs. $370 may be an issue.

What's the recycle time like on that 430EX? I hit 1-1.5 seconds with lithium batteries in my 544 at full power, which puts out at least twice the power. Granted, it won't TTL. But its big brother, the 622 will.

Can someone help me pick the right lightstand? There are so many!

I got a pair of these (equivalent... the 3373 is discontinued.)

I liked the folded length, but in hind sight, 8' stands may have been a better choice.

Can you buy local?

Look for the sturdiest, heaviest stand you can reasonably carry around.

Some of them fold down smaller than others. So consider the size of the bag or case that you want to carry your gear in.
Of course, a compact stand will probably be a compromise in terms of stability or ruggedness.

What's the recycle time like on that 430EX? I hit 1-1.5 seconds with lithium batteries in my 544 at full power, which puts out at least twice the power. Granted, it won't TTL. But its big brother, the 622 will.
It obviously depends on the batteries but at full power (which I don't use very often) it's probably close to a second....so it's pretty quick.

Most reactions

Back