moving from film to digital

aiiaznsk8er

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Nikon N80, Ive got a 50mm, a 20-300mm, and a 28mm all AF Nikor glass. Ive also got a SB-80 flash. I have been trying to understand crop factors, and I don't think I'd be very happy with them. Is it worth it to buy a used D100 or D200 from keh.com? Or should i just save up and get a D300 or D700. I currently shoot alot of skateboard and action photography, also concert shots and local open mic acts. What would you guys suggest?

1) A D300 still has a crop factor.

2) You'd be thrilled with the D700 high iso, and it has the traditional 35mm sensor so no crop factor, if you have the money I'd go for it. If not the D200 is a capable camera too.

Last edited:
My status is purely that of a serious amateur, so hopefully you'll weigh that with my remarks.

I made the move to digital about five years ago with a Fuji three MP point and shoot. This was after twenty plus years of 35mm and 6x6 film in all speeds. Along the way I managed to also gather a respectable array of cameras, mostly SLRs and TLRs. They do nothing but collect dust nowadays. I wind and fire the shutters on all these cameras to prevent freeze-up. That is the only use they get.

It took about a day with that little Fuji for me to realize I was finished with film and probably finished for good. Shortly after its introduction, I jumped to a D70, then to a D200, which is where I'm at today.

Since acquiring that Fuji, I honestly do not believe I've burned one single roll of film. There are still several rolls of unexposed Velvia sitting in my refrigerator from the "old days."

Not more than six or seven years ago there were some raging arguments on several different boards over the film matter, and I always maintained that film was doomed as long as ten years ago, maybe longer. It was one of those "time will tell" deals and certainly time has indeed told.

I can almost guarantee you that any Nikon dSLR is going to blow your hair back, from the D40 on up.

Whatever the crop factor's drawbacks are, they are completely overwhelmed by everything else a dSLR has to offer.

Good luck!

Well if you shoot wildlife then you will love the crop factor. If you dont do that much then I would get the D700. I plan on picking up a D700 to compliment my D300, well that and, I have quite a few film lenses.

I bet you'd be fine with an APS format DSLR, although you would probably want to pick up some wider lenses. I think most folks get more value for their money as far as image quality goes out of better lenses and flashes than bodies. Then again if you can afford it 35mm DLSRs rock, and that D700 is a sexy, sexy camera.

I'm currently using a Nikon N80, Ive got a 50mm, a 20-300mm, and a 28mm all AF Nikor glass. Ive also got a SB-80 flash. I have been trying to understand crop factors, and I don't think I'd be very happy with them.
This is one of the handfull of deturrents to me and a major contributer as to why I don't think I will ever convert to digital, My best suggestion is to save up for the full frame one if you are serious about converting.

Film isn't doomed today either. Don't be silly.

...I got into that same arguement at my GF's christmas get together when her cousin asked if my cameras where 35mm and then tried telling me that stores where discontinuing 35mm processing, Much to my suprise her own stepfather dove right in to back me up :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back