moving into business mode, need advice

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been recently thinking more professionaly about my photography.
I made a website: Mikhail Kofman Photography

someone from an architecture design house took a look at my website, and really loved some of my architecture and landscape shots. they contacted me and said that they would possibly either buy some of my works and frame them or comission me to do a whole series. I'm really blown away i dont even know what to think. but my main question, if they want to buy specific pictures printed, i have no idea what to charge..... anyone here experienced with this

also, my pictures are getting more and more attractive and im now thinking of the horror that is picture theft. whats stopping someone from saving an image that i put up on facebook, tumblr, or even this forum, and passing it off as their own or using it for commercial use?
what can i do to secure my work and my self?

Congratulations on the booking, that's always good. Charges for this are dependant on a HUGE number of factors: How much time and effort it takes to create the image, what the market conditions are like in your area (the same picture will sell for a LOT more if used by a Fortune 500 company in NYC than if 'Bill's Renovations' in Gumboot Junction), what sort of license you give (single use, unlimited but non-exclusive, etc), the purpose (website, print, billboard), and the size (a 75 pixel web image isn't worth as much as an 8x10 print image).

Assuming a relatively large business in a major centre, I would charge $75/hour for production time (including post) and for non-exclusive prints (meaning I can sell or use them as I wish) I would probably charge in the area of $500 + materials for a fully finished (framed, matted) 11x14. Before making any decisions, you'll need to do market research in your area.

As far as your concerns about the web go. Relax. You'll live longer. There are a hundred things you can do to try and secure your images against theft. Given the sheer number of pictures on-line, the odds that yours will be targeted are relatively small to start with. Ensure that all your images are 75dpi or less, and no more than 800 pixels on the longest edge. Have a noticeable but not distracting water-mark, and call it a day. That renders the image unusable for anything but the 'web, and only then with a lot of effort.

Check out this book: Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington. I explains how to come up with pricing, how to make your contract and how to negotiate. Highly recommended.

Another good book is Professional Business Practices in Photography a compilation by the American Society of Media Photographers. Their web site is www.ASMP.org. On their home page click on "Business Resources".

Check out:
Business and Legal Forms for Photographers by Tad Crawford.

For info regarding model and property releases (architecture) get:
A Digital Photographers Guide to Model Releases by Dan Heller.

You can get guidance on copyright law at www.copyright.gov and on trademark law at www.uspto.com .

You can get free, or low cost, expert business advice from www.sba.gov and www.score.org.

wow thanks for all the advice I LOVE U GUYS~~

ill take a look

Most reactions

Back