Moving Motorcycle Photo Help....

Hi there ive been wondering a lot into how moving motorbike shots are done, i have found out cars use mounts and then are photoshoped out, also the cars are not being driven but pushed and have an exposure of anywere from 1 to 20 seconds but as they move so slowly there is a lot of blur and the car is crisp.

but is this the case for motorbikes, has anyone seen the new r1 photo from yamaha on the back of there new bike catalog, does anyone know how these sorts of moving shots are done, from another bike, car or a mount?

i want to find out how to achieve a shot that is blurred in the background but the bike and rider is sharp, and to do it without extensive photoshoping. does any one know how these sorts of photos you see in fast bikes etc are done? if the use lighting also.

To village idiot, i know my img sucks, it was just a simple example that you can shoot from the motorcycle..

To the other guy who wants to tell me whats on his mind, I understand how you feel, and like i said.. i DIDNT want to cause controversy, it's not going to change my thoughts on shooting from the motorcycle.

To the OP.. i'd suggest checking out this thread..
! may be going to hell in a bucket, - ADVrider
He shoots a 5D from his motorcycle, and.. the results are phenomenal

Nothing special about those, i would shoot from the back of a truck, or i would find a sharp corner and get in closer than this with a wide angle lens an pan the shot http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Cadwell-BSB-Practise/Image00032/188042970_FY3CW-L.jpg
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Cadwell-BSB-Practise/Image00004/188061368_mXdTz-L.jpg

Last edited:
You can absolutely shoot with both hands from a moving motorcycle, if you are the passenger. This is a very common method for photographing Bicycle races. You also don't need to be moving very fast to get the feeling of a lot of speed in your photos. Other than that, Convertibles Jeeps with the tops off, and trucks would work. Obviously use discretion, but all of those could work pretty well. A monopod and remote shutter release could get you come close to the ground shots, you just have to rotate the images in post.

I thought pick up truck originally (but there are legal issues in having a passenger in the bed) so I would agree with the above suggestion to shoot from a convertible, preferably with the top down.

Cargo area laws

Most reactions

New Topics

Back