Moving to FF for college student

swrphotographic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! Since 2005 I have owned a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit lens. I have gotten back into photography and obviously this setup is very old. I have pretty much pushed the limits of this hardware and I desire much higher quality photographs. I would really like to go full frame, however I am a completely broke college student. Here is what I was thinking:

Sell all of my gear. I also have two film cameras with two other lenses, a 28-90 4 - 5.6 and a 80 - 200 4.5 - 5.6 I think if I sell of all of it I ma be able to get around $650 total.

I was thinking about buying a Canon 5d from B&H for about $500 and then purchasing a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 EF also used from B&H for about $150.
Here is the camera: Used Canon EOS 5D Digital Camera (Camera Body) 0296B002 B&H
Here is the lens: Used Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 C219701

I really want a 6D with a 17-40 2.8 but it could be years before I have that kind of money. Do you really think I will see a big difference if I do the swap that I listed above? Also, does anyone have another idea? Thanks!
If you'd like to see what kind of photographs I take you can see them here: Master Gallery by Photographs by Steven Russell

My main question is why on earth do you want to buy such an old camera ?
Just because its FF ?
FF has few advantages over crop sensor camera, the main 2 reasons is a shallow DOF and better low light performance.
It also has some drawback especially loosing the crop factor thus getting less reach on your lenses.
Honestly the most basic crop sensor made by Nikon the D3300 just kills the 5D in low light and has double the MP and cost about the same, add to that that you are getting a brand new camera which has much better dynamic range.
The only advantage I can see the 5D has over the D3300 has a shallower DOF

I just don't see the logic in this buy!

I agree.

Put money towards decent lenses now, upgrade the body when you're more financially stable.

Because that old body and that mediocre lens isn't going to do anything substantial for you that you can't do with the XT.

Hi goodguy, thank you for the reply! What would you suggest as another option? I could maybe do a EF 17-40 f/4L or a EF 24-105 f/4L and stick it on my Rebel XT body. I can buy these lenses used for about $600 from B&H. What about buying a used 7d and sticking a different lens on it?

Do you think a used f/4 L lens would be a good investment? I really wanted a 2.8 version but these are more then double the price, even used!

Dont like F4 lenses, they are good for general use in good lighting but in bad lighting they will not cut it.
Maybe consider used Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 I believe those go for 400$-500$ not a bad lenses for the money.

What body to buy ?

Well the problem is that Canons current Rebel models all share an old sensor that doesnt have impressive performance.
I would recommend looking into Nikon's current line, they have Sony sensors that are very good.
If you want to stick with Canon I honestly dont know how much better the new Rebel sensors are from your.
The 7D has the same old sensr the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i and 60D has, buying it will only mean you are getting a sports camera with very good auto focus, big buffer, weather sealing and extra dial.
Sorry but Canon's current basic camera line is just suffering from old technology sensor

Hi everyone! Since 2005 I have owned a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit lens. I have gotten back into photography and obviously this setup is very old. I have pretty much pushed the limits of this hardware and I desire much higher quality photographs.
You don't say what you're taking pictures of; that makes a huge difference to which lens it makes sense for you to buy.

However, I'd strongly advise buying a fast prime lens (even the 50mm f/1.8, if budget is tight). You'll notice a huge difference in the ability to shoot in low light, the sharpness of your images (if you use the lens effectively) and the ability to achieve a shallow depth of field when you want one. If you're shooting many portraits then 50mm on a crop body is a very nice focal length to have.

Also, using a fixed-focal-length lens for a while does wonders for your composition; you can no longer just zoom to get an ok shot, so moving around for the best composition becomes much more natural.

If you can afford it, go for the 50mm f/1.4 over the f/1.8. The bokeh (quality of the out of focus areas of the image) can be quite busy and distracting with the 1.8, when there's a complicated background. Also, a good 50mm could become your best friend if/when you do switch to full frame.

Last edited:
I could maybe do a EF 17-40 f/4L or a EF 24-105 f/4L and stick it on my Rebel XT body. I can buy these lenses used for about $600 from B&H. What about buying a used 7d and sticking a different lens on it?
The 7D (original) is a huge upgrade over your XT in just about every area (although not hugely better in low-light performance) and well worth considering. It looks to me like great value now. In particular, the second control dial and other layout changes of the xxD and xD camera ranges make them much more user friendly.

the pictures he posted look fine; I see no hardware limitations.

Most reactions

Back